• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time...

DaveTheMinion

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
94   1
Reaction score
So Ill be honest, I haven't had my carry license very long. I'm a big time gun nut as many here know, and have no shame of my love of guns. I carry iwb with a long t shirt over it. Anyways, I had my carry piece on me when I went to pick up my daughter from a birthday party at sparkles in kennesaw. I've met the girls parents several times and always made good impressions, I've gone to several dances and events at my daughters school so her parents have only seen me doing positive activities. I've met her parents at other bday parties, sleep overs, etc. So as were leaving the skating rink, my wife asked me to pick up my daughters skates. I knelt down and tried to be careful, but it happened. My shirt slipped over my grip, and her mom had a sudden shocked look on her face, and I honestly felt embarrassed for somereason. Afterwards she was very nice as we said our good byes and everything, but on the way home all I could think was great, there may be a small chance my daughter doesn't get invited next time or something along those lines. I wasn't doing anything illegal, wasn't acting like a punk, I was dressed decent, sat there patiently bouncing my son on my knee while waiting for my wife so all I displayed was a positive image, but for some reason, I got physically embarrassed about it. Had it have been a stranger, I would not have cared, but I'm not real sure why it bothered me to let someone else see it. I dunno, advice?

It would be unfortunate if your lifestyle choices impacted your kids. Interested to hear what advice others offer...

There's always the option of "leave it in the car" but that could lead to me posting a stolen gun thread or some crazy bastard pulling a newtown the one time I am disarmed.

There's always the option of "leave it in the car" but that could lead to me posting a stolen gun thread or some crazy bastard pulling a newtown the one time I am disarmed.

I've got kids, the idea of leaving it in the car or otherwise unsecured seems like a really bad idea. Better to have on your person, hands down the better choice.

I've got kids, the idea of leaving it in the car or otherwise unsecured seems like a really bad idea. Better to have on your person, hands down the better choice.

Hell other than the grip I've never given any reason to come ffl as a bad Guy, I'm a yes mam no mam kind of person. I go to all the parent teacher conferences, school events (obviously not carrying) so hopefully by that I displayed a "positive image" as a gun owner and not the crazy redneck or punk.

Look you have nothing to be embarressed about. I carry a LCP 380 every where I go when I have my wife and kids with me. I know a 380 is not considered by some a good defence gun because of its size but it is easy to carry and conceal. I have a case it goes in that I put on my belt and I can cover it with my shirt. Everybody that sees it thinks its a Iphone case and I tell them no different!! I dont know what you carry but maybe you can get a different holster or some thing? It takes a while to get use to having a gun on your side when you first start carrying. But don't let other peoples opinoins bother you.

No real advice for ya on this one. Not going to be easy balancing your family's safety and other people's feelings, I'd say pick the one that's more important. It's your job to ensure their safety and it's not always going to be easy on you or your family. Find a smaller/easier to conceal pistol maybe???

Back
Top Bottom