• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fitting a "hard fit" match grade 1911 barrel.

Oh yeah I also had a Remington Rand that was converted to NM specs by Springfield after the war for my Dad ..My wife shot it for the 45 legs and now my brother has it. Classic old 1911.

had quite a few Clark pistols( 38 and 45) and one by Jack Maples I should have kept.

Last edited:
Jglenn, grab that Clark and come shoot a match!
Those old Jim Clark Sr. Guns were great, the new ones.....not so much.
I'd love to experiment with some different powders, but in today's market, I'm glad to just have a decent supply of BE.
I originally started shooting Bullsye as a way to work on trigger control and one handed shooting. But seeing my scores improve, hanging out with some really talented shooters and smiths, and getting to shoot 270 rounds in a match, I got hooked pretty quick.

And yeah, that old R. Rand has quickly become my favorite gun in the safe!

Thanks,
My 50 yard .45 load is a "Nosler type" 185 grain JHP from Magnus Bullets over 4.5 grains of bullseye. .467 crimp, Winchester brass. I also use Swaged Lead 200 grain LSWC from Magnus Bullets. They group within .1" of the Noslers with 4.0 grains of BE.

Terry Labbe is the owner of Magnus Bullets. He is a NRA High Master level shooter, and an outstanding guy! he is just across the boarder in AL. These are, IMHO, some of the best bullets available. Terry knows what shoots!

The 9mm was Atlanta Arms JHP Match grade "black box"

Thanks for all the load data. I have some 185grn. Jhp's and have recently been able to score several pounds of bullseye. If my groups are twice yours, I will be happy!

thought about getting back in now that I'm retired. eyes aren't nearly as good today and all my pistols have iron sights... when I quit the dot scopes were just coming into fashion. I do have some ultra dots laying around though..........

Clark pretty much had all their old smiths retire so not quite the talent or experience these days. Jack Maples was pretty much the best 1911 bullseye smith I ever saw. he came out of the AMU unit as did most of the Ga smiths. We used to shoot against those guys once a year other than Perry.. It was something to see all the talent at Benning...

glad to hear there is still interest in the sport.. probably shoot a really bad sharpshooter score these days LOL

be sure and make the trip to Perry at least once... heck of an experience and fun the shot the hardball matches..

Georgia used to have quite a Civilian State team with many of the Benning folks retiring in Columbus.

May well stop down a south river to check out a match... What Sundays do they shoot?

Thanks guys.

Jglenn, Sounds great! Anybody else who might want to try a match, I've got an extra Buckmark if you need a .22. There is usually 3or4 open firing positions available.

Back
Top Bottom