• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fixin' up the 1917

Not sure how much you know about that rifle you have but the marking on the stock indicates it was rebuilt by *Elmer Keith in Ogden, Utah...[ OGEK ]........a very desirable piece your friend owns, hope you haven't destroyed the value of it but it appears so.

Not sure how much you know about that rifle you have but the marking on the stock indicates it was rebuilt by *Elmer Keith in Ogden, Utah...[ OGEK ]........a very desirable piece your friend owns, hope you haven't destroyed the value of it but it appears so.
you are correct sir about the stamp, however you were incorrect about me destroying it. That area was carefully edge off and maintained throughout the entire process I suggest you take a closer look ... thanks

IMG_6414.JPG

Notice he used BLO and natural ingredients. These were originally treated in the same manner for military use other than the stocks were submerged in hot BLO. The wax may be a little xtra shine tho:becky:

Notice he used BLO and natural ingredients. These were originally treated in the same manner for military use other than the stocks were submerged in hot BLO. The wax may be a little xtra shine tho:becky:
Thank you sir. The shine right now is attributed to the hand rubbing. I always want to make The person I'm doing it for know that I care not only for the preservation but the appearance. Hence the beeswax. With as dry as the wood was I had to use something that was a breathable sealant

you are correct sir about the stamp, however you were incorrect about me destroying it. That area was carefully edge off and maintained throughout the entire process I suggest you take a closer look ... thanks
I'm sure you didn't destroy the rifle, but certainly the value of it, as you said in your 1st post you are proud of the results, am sure you are, that rifle should never have been touched even with the old finish and cosmo, a very historical rifle...to me and many collectors of historical weapons it's a loss, hopefully members on here will learn something from your thread. Good day.

Back
Top Bottom