• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fixin' up the 1917

I'm sure you didn't destroy the rifle, but certainly the value of it, as you said in your 1st post you are proud of the results, am sure you are, that rifle should never have been touched even with the old finish and cosmo, a very historical rifle...to me and many collectors of historical weapons it's a loss, hopefully members on here will learn something from your thread. Good day.
Sir, I do not make that determination. If a beautiful piece is brought to me and someone asked me to take grease that is packed completely around the rifle off of it I will do so. May I suggest you take a look at the very first picture of when the rifle was received. This gentleman is going to shoot this rifle, yes maybe a foreign thought to you, but that's exactly what he's going to do. I feel it would be better for him to shoot it and enjoy it then to shoot it and wind up with a splinter in his hand. Thank you . And if you would like to see it in person it will cost you tree fiddy

Thanks. I may try this one day if another opportunity comes along. I was guessing a mix of stock powder with filler. Ive only played with refinishing and carpentry a little. After reading a bit on refinishing stocks, I was to lazy to go all out on the one I did. Wood didnt match and I saw a repair in the butt that I missed. But i really liked the blonde color. Wish it would have matched better.

downloadfile-4.jpg

Thanks. I may try this one day if another opportunity comes along. I was guessing a mix of stock powder with filler. Ive only played with refinishing and carpentry a little. After reading a bit on refinishing stocks, I was to lazy to go all out on the one I did.
Yes, but you have to think "period correct" when your in the 1917 zone... Heck I even dug out a 1910 screwdriver .to get that feel... If you are doing it because you love it, you may put out a product that some will appreciate...
I love a challenge, I just wish it paid more...:becky:

Thanks. I may try this one day if another opportunity comes along. I was guessing a mix of stock powder with filler. Ive only played with refinishing and carpentry a little. After reading a bit on refinishing stocks, I was to lazy to go all out on the one I did. Wood didnt match and I saw a repair in the butt that I missed.

View attachment 1243989
Show us what you did...

Shooting a gun is almost like driving a car. If you dont want to put miles on it, oil it up, cover it and store it in a humidity controled garage. Every blue moon take a friend out and show them how cool you are by unwrapping it and maybe even drive it 1/2 a mile. Or have fun and drive the hell out if it before you die and it winds up at an estate auction.

Shooting a gun is almost like driving a car. If you dont want to put miles on it, oil it up, cover it and store it in a humidity controled garage. Every blue moon take a friend out and show them how cool you are by unwrapping it and maybe even drive it 1/2 a mile. Or have fun and drive the hell out if it before you die and it winds up at an estate auction.
:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom