• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For those who own night vision...

Depends what you mean by "night vision", and what you intend to use it for.

Since you're speaking about dual tubes, I presume you're at least initially thinking about PVS-14 based devices.

Worth it? Very subjective. With NV, you can't go cheap unfortunately.

Duel tubes if you can swing it. About $5K would get you a starter pair that is very nice. $8k to $10k a very nice set.

I prefer duels or a PVS-7 ( I know) over a PVS-14 single. The depth perception and naked eye both bug me.

PVS-14 isn't bad if you are not walking. You can get used to walking, but walking in the woods can suck with no depth perception you're going to hit some limbs.

Cheaper NV is still better than no NV but I would stick to gen3. Those digital night vision setups like Sionyx work somewhat decent for the price but you need an IR illuminator.

I have a little experience with two different night vision scopes costing a few grand apiece. One was top of the line,I was told. I never wanted one. Our hunting property became infested with hogs. I bought a Lumenshoot scope from Amazon with white, red, and green capsules(diodes, I guess). It clamps on your scope. You can headshoot a hog with it at 150-200 yards easily. After looking through mine four other guys bought them. You install it on your scope in a minute. I like it better than night viz. Cost about $80 a year or two ago. You use the green diode for hogs, the red for coyotes. Rechargeable batts.

"Worth it" is subjective. Only you can decide if the money is "worth it."

I have no regrets. I started with a 14, then bridged a second, then sold those and upgraded to AB DTNVS.

If you want to get your feet wet, start with a 14. Specs are king. Pay attn and make your purchase based on the spec sheets.

NV is not losing value these days, and prices are only going up. At some point, digital will be king, but technology isn't there yet. When it gets there, I'd imagine it's a decade before it becomes "affordable" for most of us poors.

If you have zero experience and want to look through some, send me a PM.

The Jerry 31's seem to be a popular first purchase now. Just know that it is chinese everything and gen 2 tubes. But at 4k for a tester dual set-up, it may be worth a look? I'd still recommend a high spec 14 or used GP duals for a couple grand more over em, but the jerry's could be an option.

Back
Top Bottom