• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

? for those who reload sub 9mm for suppressor use

calebp

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Took the leap on my next suppressor, Tirant 9mm, thanks to the kindness of Scott and Justin, and have decided that to be more cost effective when backyard shooting, I am going to try my hand at reloading.

Been scouring the web for different recipes and had a few questions:

-Whats your favorite powder? VV n330 appeared to be very popular but shows discontinued on midway, is VV n320 still the bees knees?
-What bullets are you guys using and does it make much of a difference in sound. Will be sticking mainly with 147gr unless I see 158 pop up somewhere for a decent price, but can I just get the cheapest FMJ or will a particular bullet give me a different tone/sound signature that may be more or less pleasant.
-How many uses are you getting out of your spent brass before its time to toss them and re-up
-Is it safe to test a new load with suppressor in use immediately or do I need to fire a certain number unsuppressed to ensure...?(that the gun does blow up or send a bullet through a few baffles and the tube or something, no clue, virgin reloader)
-Are all primers pretty much the same?

Based on prices, sans hazmat shipping, it looked like it was working out to about 9.22 a box. Figure I have 4-5 months til I get my stamp back, I have time to look local and buy at best price.

Is there ANYTHING other than brass, bullets, primers, and powder I would need to add to this, JUST to get started:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/rcbs-partner-press-reloading-kit-87467.html

I love to tinker and think this would be an extremely rewarding outlet.

Thanks Guys!
Caleb

When I do reload 9mm I use Berry's 147 plated bullets or 147 lead . I don't ever load fmj for a subsonic bullet in any caliber if I can help it. At fMj prices I would rather just buy loaded ammo.

Hey Folks,

Took the leap on my next suppressor, Tirant 9mm, thanks to the kindness of Scott and Justin, and have decided that to be more cost effective when backyard shooting, I am going to try my hand at reloading.

Been scouring the web for different recipes and had a few questions:

-Whats your favorite powder? VV n330 appeared to be very popular but shows discontinued on midway, is VV n320 still the bees knees?
-What bullets are you guys using and does it make much of a difference in sound. Will be sticking mainly with 147gr unless I see 158 pop up somewhere for a decent price, but can I just get the cheapest FMJ or will a particular bullet give me a different tone/sound signature that may be more or less pleasant.
-How many uses are you getting out of your spent brass before its time to toss them and re-up
-Is it safe to test a new load with suppressor in use immediately or do I need to fire a certain number unsuppressed to ensure...?(that the gun does blow up or send a bullet through a few baffles and the tube or something, no clue, virgin reloader)
-Are all primers pretty much the same?

Based on prices, sans hazmat shipping, it looked like it was working out to about 9.22 a box. Figure I have 4-5 months til I get my stamp back, I have time to look local and buy at best price.

Is there ANYTHING other than brass, bullets, primers, and powder I would need to add to this, JUST to get started:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/rcbs-partner-press-reloading-kit-87467.html

I love to tinker and think this would be an extremely rewarding outlet.

Thanks Guys!
Caleb

There is a slew of powders that will meet your needs. Almost all load data, if not all, for 147 will be a subsonic load.

Shop around for your press, etc. Grafs, Midsouth Shooters Supply, Wideners, etc.

Best price on plated (not FMJ) bullets I find is Xtreme Bullets when they do free shipping. They do it quite often and have a sale on now.

Primers are basically primers, but I find CCI is the easiest to seat.

As long as you stick to published load data from reputable sources, you won't blow up your can. Buy at least one good manual.

Inspect your brass. If it looks ok, no bulges, cracks, etc., load it up.

There is a slew of powders that will meet your needs. Almost all load data, if not all, for 147 will be a subsonic load.

Shop around for your press, etc. Grafs, Midsouth Shooters Supply, Wideners, etc.

Best price on plated (not FMJ) bullets I find is Xtreme Bullets when they do free shipping. They do it quite often and have a sale on now.

Primers are basically primers, but I find CCI is the easiest to seat.

As long as you stick to published load data from reputable sources, you won't blow up your can. Buy at least one good manual.

Inspect your brass. If it looks ok, no bulges, cracks, etc., load it up.

Shoot out of a factory glock barrel so I think lead is a no go. Was figuring 40 per lb of n320( aware this gets cheaper at 4lbs but want to start small)

1250 hornady fmj for 167

1k CCI primers for 31

Obviously all can be had slightly cheaper with bulk, which is the route I will take assuming this becomes the obsession I expect. Any places to cut cost here? Is that kit g2g for my first 1k rounds before switching to a digital scale, trickier, ect?

Edited to add;

And dies. Will any brand work? Need the resizing die too ?

Last edited:
Shoot out of a factory glock barrel so I think lead is a no go. Was figuring 40 per lb of n320( aware this gets cheaper at 4lbs but want to start small)

1250 hornady fmj for 167

1k CCI primers for 31

Obviously all can be had slightly cheaper with bulk, which is the route I will take assuming this becomes the obsession I expect. Any places to cut cost here? Is that kit g2g for my first 1k rounds before switching to a digital scale, trickier, ect?

Not a bad price on those Hornadys, but Xtreme is still cheaper. They are plated, so no leading.

Vihtavouhuri (or however the hell you spell it) is good stuff, but crazy expensive. When you can find it, Titegroup, CFE Pistol, etc. can be had for <$30 a pound.

If you are going to reload any quantity, and with pistol, you need to to make it worth it, you will outgrow that press really quickly. I would suggest a turret press for not a lot more money. Something like this: http://www.titanreloading.com/kits/lee-value-turret-press-kit or maybe a Pro 1000. Lee gets a lot of bad press, but I have had no big issues with them. A bit finicky at times, but a little patience will save you a lot of money.

I load 124-147 grain pills for sub sonic performance. I have used a few powders but stick with the faster powders. I use to use a lot of Accurate Arms #2 but found with the 147 grain loads it really worked the brass hard. So I went to AA #5 a bit slower powder.

In your case the recommendation to stick with plated bullets makes sense. Plated don't work well when pushing the velocity envelope.

The goal will be to obtain a loading that works suppressed and unsuppressed well in most if not all firearms. It is lot easier with the 147 grain bullets and a bit more of a challenge with 124 grain bullets.

There is a sticky "metallic cartridge reloading" it's for new guys and has a lot of information with links to discussions on most of the reloading questions for guys who "want to get started". I encourage you to peruse the page. http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/116921-Metallic-Cartridge-Reloading-for-the-New-Guy

Welcome to the club.

Last edited:
I've been using a lot of these lately (mostly because they rival the price of a Ranier plated bullet from Midway): https://precisiondelta.com/index.php/products/bullet/9mm/bullets-9mm-147-fmj.html I'd order at least 2K to get them delivered for 11 cents per bullet. Of course, that is a real FMJ and not plated. Looks like Powder Valley is showing Berry's 147gr plated at 9.18 cents each before shipping.

I'm currently using 4.0 grains of Unique with a 147 grain projectile. Although I don't have a lot of pistol powder that isn't Unique or Bullseye, so I'm not the best source of info there. Unique and Bullseye are generally regarded as "dirty" powders.

And as far as 9mm brass goes, it lasts a long time. And I've had more than one person at the gun club tell me that "9mm isn't worth reloading." And I'll agree with them and continue picking up the brass they leave behind.

My fav 9mm "suppressor" load

147gr xtreme bullet
3.2gr vv n320
1.140"oal
light crimp

very very quiet load and in my experience doesn't slam the action so it produces less action noise.

ALWAYS shoot a 5 shot group or two to confirm they're stabilizing before threading the can on.

I use Delta too. About the same cost as plated but I can push the velocity envelope.

Yep good bullets and includes shipping
would take back orders during the "I can't find no bullets anywhere days"

Titegroup good for 9mm a little cleaner than BE and Unique and 3.2 gains gets it done that's over 2000 loads per lb

Back
Top Bottom