• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

? for those who reload sub 9mm for suppressor use

The boys and I had been reloading 147 because that's what we thought we had to to reliably shoot subsonic. Almost by accident, I realized that we could also shoot 124 which is easier to find and cheaper. YMMV but this is what we're currently loading

Bullseye powder (you need to determine your own recipe but I will say it runs .008 per round)
CCI 500 Primers (on sale at Cabelas for $27.99 = .028 per round
Berrys 124 RN plated (on sale at Cabelas for $21.99 = .088 per round
Brass = range pick up = free

That means we're loading at 12.4 cents a round (not factoring in tax) which is $6.20 per box of 50

According to my chrono, my particular load was running between 1000 and 1020 FPS. Cycled fine in every pistol I have, in a Hi-Point carbine and in a MAC machine gun.

How often are you guys rechecking your powder charges to ensure it's throwing the correct amount?
Not sure who you're asking but we check visually on every round and measure every 20 rounds or so. Using the adjustable charge bar. Variance is +/- .1 grain. We try to keep the powder 1/2 to 3/4 full and run a few tests every time we stop for any length of time or when we add powder.

Not sure who you're asking but we check visually on every round and measure every 20 rounds or so. Using the adjustable charge bar. Variance is +/- .1 grain. We try to keep the powder 1/2 to 3/4 full and run a few tests every time we stop for any length of time or when we add powder.

Thanks! Yep that's what I was getting at, visually inspect every time but you are saying scale it up every 20 or so? Seems like a lot but I'd rather not squib out or have a round overcharged.

Thanks! Yep that's what I was getting at, visually inspect every time but you are saying scale it up every 20 or so? Seems like a lot but I'd rather not squib out or have a round overcharged.
We're using a pretty small charge that just about half fills the case. I have an LED pen light attached to my press that shines directly in the case when at it's lowest position. I used to weigh every 10 or so but it was so consistent, i dropped back to a lower frequency. I like my body parts and do wish to keep them!

I basically do what mcdaman said- only I've checked that powder measure so much, I'm completely comfortable with doing quality checks every 100 rounds- i.e. when I have to load more primers.

I do verify that the powder measure dumped a charge every time. And a double charge in a 9mm case is going to be really obvious- pretty sure we're talking about overflowing obvious. .45ACP on the other hand, yeah, you can fit two charges in that case.

I do keep an eye on all the adjusting nuts and such to make sure nothing works loose. So far zero problems with the 550B.

Back
Top Bottom