• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ford ranger head gasket

DADI03

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
My boy is about to turn 16. I've been in the look out for an older ford ranger. I've seen quite a few with blown head gaskets. Been thinking about getting one of them. I'm a weekend warrior mechanic at best. I have a pretty good knowledge of working on motors. Is this something an amateur could do. Is there anything l would need to be aware of when buying one of these?

Thanks

If they over heated it the head could be warped. Could be a cheap machine shop trip to plane it out or it could be warped beyond repair. Always good to have the head checked with a blown head gasket

Have the head checked for cracks and if good, have it surfaced to clean up irregularities.

A engine gasket set or a head gasket set and go for it. New head bolts are not a bad idea if you can source them .

It is not difficult and can be done in the driveway, though a garage is much nicer to work in.

Pulled a head once because it cracked due to overheating. Overhead cam can be a bit tricky but not that difficult. Some of the Single overhead cam 4 cyl. Ranger motors have 8 spark plugs. Worked on one once and I can promise you it went back out with only 7 new ones. BIG PITA.

Best case scenario: Swap head gasket and good to go.

Or could have a cracked head, bent rod, warped block deck, etc. Its a gamble regardless of whether you're a weekend warrior or not. No way of knowing what you really have until you have it apart or you really know the guy you're buying it from and the history of the vehicle. Basically need to get the truck at a price that you wont feel bad putting an used engine in it if it comes down to that.

What engine are you looking at in the Rangers? Some of the Ford 3 liter V6s were bad to bend rods when the head gasket blew.

Not sold on any particular motor. Looking for a bargain more than anything. Don't really want to put a ton of money in something that will get beat up

Best case scenario: Swap head gasket and good to go.

Or could have a cracked head, bent rod, warped block deck, etc. Its a gamble regardless of whether you're a weekend warrior or not. No way of knowing what you really have until you have it apart or you really know the guy you're buying it from and the history of the vehicle. Basically need to get the truck at a price that you wont feel bad putting an used engine in it if it comes down to that.

Unfortunately this will be an online purchase so history will be as good as the person is honest.

Back
Top Bottom