• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Formbys and American Black Walnut

That's a fine old Remington bolt gun. It brings back fond memories.

My Dad had his brother's Remington 500 series either a TargetMaster or ScoreMaster that I shot in my single digits of my youth. Made one hell of a shot at probably at about 150 yards with a .22 short.

A Starling feeling rather safe on a wire at the far side of the farm, following what Dad said to hold over, I gently squeezed that round off, crack, about a half second delay or so a soft thawak! and that starling flipped 180 degrees upside down holding on the wire for about 10 seconds until releasing his claws and tagging the dirt.

The old 1960's rifles and older, that sported walnut have some very nice pieces of wood, well worth attempting to recover.

I have the stock that came in the rifle when I got it. Refinshed at some point by a previous owner. Kinda bland in appearance. Not sure if it was original or replaced with a later version. At some point I am going to start rust blueing the rifle while on break between classes.

It's beautiful! If I can offer one suggestion to future refinishes; In lieu of using "steel wool" which can leave fragments that will rust try using only "scotch bright" branded pads.
"If you are going to put in the labor you better have the right tools..." -bjm

IMG_5418.JPG

It's beautiful! If I can offer one suggestion to future refinishes; In lieu of using "steel wool" which can leave fragments that will rust try using only "scotch bright" branded pads.
"If you are going to put in the labor you better have the right tools..." -bjm

I actually do use scotch bright pads. Steel wool is easier to type out.

Back
Top Bottom