• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fuel prices jacked up again...

Letter to local paper in response to rant by the editor that she was offended by the oil companies who continue to raise prices.

Note: gas was about 4$/gal at the time

Dear Ms. Gimedat,

I read your opinion article in the recent Press Sentinel with much interest. Having worked and traveled in over 200 different countries as an independent contractor over the last 40 years, I truly enjoy your travel articles.

I think that the most compelling reason that many people believe that the oil companies are responsible for the high price of gasoline at the pump, is that they did not develop the ability to use their heads and think things through when they were in school.

The big five US oil companies own only 2% of the world’s producing oil reserves, and actually produce less than 5% of the world’s daily oil supply. The price of gasoline at the pump is not the same thing as the world price of oil, although related. The cost breakdown of a gallon of gasoline is approximately as follows: 68% of the cost is the raw material based on the world market price of crude oil, 13% is the cost of refining the crude oil into gasoline, 7% of the cost is marketing and getting the gasoline to pumps around the country, 12% is federal, state, and local taxes, and the last 7% is the gross margin from which the oil companies try to make a profit.

It is the local dealers that set the price of gasoline at the pump. Crude oil is a commodity, and like all other commodities, such as copper, iron, corn, wheat or sugar, the market price is determined on a daily basis by buyers and sellers competing in a global market. The problem for the American consumer is that by international agreement, the world crude oil price is denominated only in American dollars. When the dollar goes up in perceived value, the world oil price immediately goes down. When the perceived value of the dollar goes down, the price of oil immediately goes up. I fully realize that there are speculation, supply and demand, and systemic risk factors that also affect the price, but these are quickly priced-in by the realities of the market.

In 1968, with gold priced at $32/ounce, a gallon of gasoline retailing at 14 cents/gallon cost .004 ounces of gold. Today, with gasoline priced at 400 cents per gallon ($4.00) and gold at around $1600/ounce, the real cost of gasoline is only .0025 ounces of gold per gallon. Today’s real price is only about half of what it cost in real money in 1968. If you truly want to be offended at someone over the price of gasoline, why not go after the source and be offended by those who have stolen almost 95% of the purchasing power of the dollar by deliberate inflation since we went off of the gold standard in 1971?

The ultimate profit for any financial enterprise can only be based as a return on invested capital; the oil companies are making perhaps a 4-6% profit on their investment. On the other hand, Walmart, Apple, GE, Microsoft, Goldman Sachs, etc., all of whom have helped weaken America by exporting US manufacturing and service jobs overseas, and are currently posting profits in the 14-20% range, get a free pass from the liberal press. When in 2008, gasoline was over $5.00/gallon at the pump ($145/barrel), the liberal media blamed the oil companies. A few weeks later, when the price fell to $2.00/gallon ($62/barrel), did anyone give the oil companies credit for bringing the price down?

Gasoline is a bargain at $4.00/per gallon, especially considering the enormous equipment cost and inherent risks taken to get a gallon of crude here before it is refined.

The immediate problem for most consumers, myself included, is that I, like most others in the despised and persecuted middle class, cannot earn dollars at my profession faster than our elected representatives in the US government can steal their purchasing power by printing them out of thin air and reducing their value into oblivion. So by blaming oil companies, you are doing exactly what the imperial federal government wants you to do, and that is to distract attention away from the real villains and the greatest threat to the future freedom of all Americans: government. Intentional debasement of the dollar is just one facet of many tactics being used by our elected officials to bring America to its knees. America is sitting on a sea of oil reserves, but our producers can’t drill for it under the current administration.

As I have personally defended myself from inflation by investing in gold and silver, therefore putting most of my savings and earnings beyond government reach, one could easily defend themselves from the excesses of the oil companies by not driving their cars, cutting off the electric power to their homes, cooking with wood, lighting by tallow candles (modern ones are petroleum based) pumping and carrying water by hand from a well, and using an outhouse instead of a modern toilet. They could further conserve wood by taking a bath only on Saturday. The oil companies would not be in business for long, but neither would we.

As HL Menken once opined, “For every complex problem there is always an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”

The US economy will soon collapse and then the life and death battle between the producers and the moochers will begin. The television will flicker off, the lights will go out, the dollar will be worthless, the supermarket shelves will be empty, the water will trickle off and sewage will be backed up into the streets…..and the nation will be under martial law. It could not happen if enough Americans were educated to think and use their heads.

Thanks, for taking the time to read this,

Sincerely,

over burdened taxpayer

Deliverence, GA

iu

Letter to local paper in response to rant by the editor that she was offended by the oil companies who continue to raise prices.

Note: gas was about 4$/gal at the time

Dear Ms. Gimedat,

I read your opinion article in the recent Press Sentinel with much interest. Having worked and traveled in over 200 different countries as an independent contractor over the last 40 years, I truly enjoy your travel articles.

I think that the most compelling reason that many people believe that the oil companies are responsible for the high price of gasoline at the pump, is that they did not develop the ability to use their heads and think things through when they were in school.

The big five US oil companies own only 2% of the world’s producing oil reserves, and actually produce less than 5% of the world’s daily oil supply. The price of gasoline at the pump is not the same thing as the world price of oil, although related. The cost breakdown of a gallon of gasoline is approximately as follows: 68% of the cost is the raw material based on the world market price of crude oil, 13% is the cost of refining the crude oil into gasoline, 7% of the cost is marketing and getting the gasoline to pumps around the country, 12% is federal, state, and local taxes, and the last 7% is the gross margin from which the oil companies try to make a profit.

It is the local dealers that set the price of gasoline at the pump. Crude oil is a commodity, and like all other commodities, such as copper, iron, corn, wheat or sugar, the market price is determined on a daily basis by buyers and sellers competing in a global market. The problem for the American consumer is that by international agreement, the world crude oil price is denominated only in American dollars. When the dollar goes up in perceived value, the world oil price immediately goes down. When the perceived value of the dollar goes down, the price of oil immediately goes up. I fully realize that there are speculation, supply and demand, and systemic risk factors that also affect the price, but these are quickly priced-in by the realities of the market.

In 1968, with gold priced at $32/ounce, a gallon of gasoline retailing at 14 cents/gallon cost .004 ounces of gold. Today, with gasoline priced at 400 cents per gallon ($4.00) and gold at around $1600/ounce, the real cost of gasoline is only .0025 ounces of gold per gallon. Today’s real price is only about half of what it cost in real money in 1968. If you truly want to be offended at someone over the price of gasoline, why not go after the source and be offended by those who have stolen almost 95% of the purchasing power of the dollar by deliberate inflation since we went off of the gold standard in 1971?

The ultimate profit for any financial enterprise can only be based as a return on invested capital; the oil companies are making perhaps a 4-6% profit on their investment. On the other hand, Walmart, Apple, GE, Microsoft, Goldman Sachs, etc., all of whom have helped weaken America by exporting US manufacturing and service jobs overseas, and are currently posting profits in the 14-20% range, get a free pass from the liberal press. When in 2008, gasoline was over $5.00/gallon at the pump ($145/barrel), the liberal media blamed the oil companies. A few weeks later, when the price fell to $2.00/gallon ($62/barrel), did anyone give the oil companies credit for bringing the price down?

Gasoline is a bargain at $4.00/per gallon, especially considering the enormous equipment cost and inherent risks taken to get a gallon of crude here before it is refined.

The immediate problem for most consumers, myself included, is that I, like most others in the despised and persecuted middle class, cannot earn dollars at my profession faster than our elected representatives in the US government can steal their purchasing power by printing them out of thin air and reducing their value into oblivion. So by blaming oil companies, you are doing exactly what the imperial federal government wants you to do, and that is to distract attention away from the real villains and the greatest threat to the future freedom of all Americans: government. Intentional debasement of the dollar is just one facet of many tactics being used by our elected officials to bring America to its knees. America is sitting on a sea of oil reserves, but our producers can’t drill for it under the current administration.

As I have personally defended myself from inflation by investing in gold and silver, therefore putting most of my savings and earnings beyond government reach, one could easily defend themselves from the excesses of the oil companies by not driving their cars, cutting off the electric power to their homes, cooking with wood, lighting by tallow candles (modern ones are petroleum based) pumping and carrying water by hand from a well, and using an outhouse instead of a modern toilet. They could further conserve wood by taking a bath only on Saturday. The oil companies would not be in business for long, but neither would we.

As HL Menken once opined, “For every complex problem there is always an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”

The US economy will soon collapse and then the life and death battle between the producers and the moochers will begin. The television will flicker off, the lights will go out, the dollar will be worthless, the supermarket shelves will be empty, the water will trickle off and sewage will be backed up into the streets…..and the nation will be under martial law. It could not happen if enough Americans were educated to think and use their heads.

Thanks, for taking the time to read this,

Sincerely,

over burdened taxpayer

Deliverence, GA
Whats your take on zombie apocalypse?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom