• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ga Arms lead?

SpeedyR

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
123   0
Reaction score
I bought a few hundred of the Georgia Arms lead from their shop a few weeks ago, 9mm, 38/357, 44 and 45. All of it looks great except the 38 bullets. all of the others have the standard lube in the grooves and such but the 38/357 bullets don't have any lube. It does have a different color/texture to it, looks like its been coated with something like black nail polish or something... but it's definitely been covered with something, but it doesn't fill the lube grooves or anything.

I just noticed it and they aren't open till monday to call and ask about it, but now that i've got my dillon set up for it, I don't want to tear it down to change calibers again..

any idea if there's some new lube out that i'm not aware of? I got two boxes (500 each) and both boxes are the same black coloring. I checked the other calibers but they are all lubed the "normal" way...

thoughts?? I can post a photo but it'll be later this afternoon..

I have ordered .357 RNFP and HBWC and .44 SBWC. None were like you described. The HWBC are solid dark grey -- almost black -- with no lube rings, but the definitely have lube on them.

Let us know what you find. I'm just about ready to order more .357 from them.

I bought 500 .358 cast there this week. I just went to look at mine.

I realized that I picked upped 158 gr round nose? I meant to get semiwadcutters?

Mine have standard wax lube. Do you think it's a moly coating? Are they really slick, eel slick to the touch?

I've used moly lubed cast in years
past with fine results. The only downside I remember is a bit more smoke? I shoot outside, so the extra
bit of smoke ain't a big concern for me?

here's a photo of the bullets...

IMG_20111217_171548.jpg

IMG_20111217_171448.jpg

Looks like a moly coat. If it were me, I'd load em' and shoot em'.

They should of made it clear it was moly bullets. May be a mis-labeling?

I know if your like me, you weigh several before loading anyway.

But I'd check these carefully since they may have been mis-labeled for weight too?

If you would, let us know what you find out?

Sure looks like Moly Coating to me. I have better luck with the Alox coated lead. I shot a bunch of Moly Coated .44-240gr swc in one day, seemed like it took hour's to get the Barrel's clean. And bit more Smoke when shooting them. I've also shot quite a number of the Alox Coated, alot easier cleanup. I'll never use Moly Coated again just my opinion.

Last edited:
Hey SpeedyR,

I'll echo what several long time reloaders have stated and they should shoot fine. The bullet has a traditional lube groove. There are casting molds that are designed with multi-lube grooves that pick up rolled lube better. There are several types of rolled lube.

I picked up some cheap Remington cast .38/.357 bullets that pissed me off when I opened them to find chunks of dark crap all over them. I called to complain as it wasn't mentioned in the ad. Other than being dirty to handle they shot fine. They did cack up the seating die and I had to clean it after 500 rounds or so.

If you decide to load them, watch your OAL every 100 rounds and if the OAL starts shrinking then you may need to clean the seater die. I have a few wheel guns you can test them out if you want.:hungry:

A mold lube groove design specifically for rolled lube
i44.tinypic.com_261ity9.jpg

These are the type of bullets I used (ugly as all get out) but shot well:
i44.tinypic.com_dnhgky.jpg

Graphite coating:
i41.tinypic.com_eamxat.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom