• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GA CC law regarding 19 yr old & active military

davis211

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
27   0
Reaction score
I just spent about 30 min at lunch looking and still don't know with 100% certainty. My son is coming home for Christmas, he's 19 and active military. We plan on doing a lot in a short time and it will involve lots of shooting and traveling. Can he legally carry a handgun since he's active military and over 18 yrs old? He does have a military ID on him at all times.
Thanks.

I believe he would still have to have a CCW to carry concealed but he would be eligible to get one early being active military. could be wrong though but almost certain they still need a ccw. can still openly carry one without a permit though

Well>>>

From GACarry.Org
Q: How old do I have to be to obtain a Georgia Weapons License?
A:
HB60 lowered the age for persons who have completed basic training in the military, persons in the military or those who have been honorably discharged from the military from 21 to 18. If you do not have the military experience, the age is 21.

Q: I am in the military, do I have to get a Georgia Weapons License?
A:
No. You are exempt the same way as police officers are. Your military ID is your proof of exemption from needing a Georgia Weapons License to carry. If you want to carry into nearby states and/or be exempt from a NICS check when purchasing firearm from a dealer then you should get a Georgia Weapons License.

Well>>>

From GACarry.Org
A:
HB60 lowered the age for persons who have completed basic training in the military, persons in the military or those who have been honorably discharged from the military from 21 to 18. If you do not have the military experience, the age is 21.

A:
No. You are exempt the same way as police officers are. Your military ID is your proof of exemption from needing a Georgia Weapons License to carry. If you want to carry into nearby states and/or be exempt from a NICS check when purchasing firearm from a dealer then you should get a Georgia Weapons License.

looks like a pretty straight forward answer and looks like he's good to go!

It might be a good idea to print this or the section of Ga law and carry it in his wallet.

Well>>>

From GACarry.Org
A:

A:
No. You are exempt the same way as police officers are. Your military ID is your proof of exemption from needing a Georgia Weapons License to carry. If you want to carry into nearby states and/or be exempt from a NICS check when purchasing firearm from a dealer then you should get a Georgia Weapons License.[/QUOTE

Davis211: the Code section he should print out or at least memorize the citation of is: 16-11-130.
That's where various kinds of govt agents and employees get an exemption from some, but not all, of Georgia's gun carry laws.

And he should go down to the Probate Court and also apply for a GWL, since he appears to be eligible for that, too. (He is eithera GA resident or has a duty assignment in GA, right?)

I believe he would still have to have a CCW to carry concealed but he would be eligible to get one early being active military. could be wrong though but almost certain they still need a ccw. can still openly carry one without a permit though
If you are referring to a handgun, there is no distinction between open carry and concealed carry for handguns. Unless exempted you need a Georgia Weapons Carry License to carry a handgun concealed or open.

Back
Top Bottom