Garage door torsion spring question!

Why is it dangerous? I know it's under high tension but I have the proper tools... It's not like I'm going to use 2 flat head driver screw to wind the spring. Lol. I got proper 18" winding bars and from what I've seen, it's pretty easy if you take your time and wrap the winding bars with color tape so you can see if you're inserting the bar completely in.

My dad and I used to have to work on his all the time. 16' all wood door made in the 70's. That thing was super heavy. It had left and right springs and I remember cranking forever on those things to get enough tension to assist raising and lowering that door. Definitely a dangerous job if you are not familiar with the process. No tells ng how much energy is stored in those springs, but I know it's enough to send my fist through the drywall holding on to a 1/2" adjusting rod...

Yeah mine is just aluminum 7' door. I doubt there's much tension in my spring. My small girlfriend and I can lift our garage door. I could always do double springs with less tension.

Listen to what people are telling you. Hire somebody! You're trying to justify doing it yourself and no one is supporting you. I sent you a garage door guy I use who is reasonable by PM. If you're broke then go for it.

Just do it. Get er done.
Jump in with both feet.
You know you are smarter than the guys on this site.
Let us know how it works out.

Just do it. Get er done.
Jump in with both feet.
You know you are smarter than the guys on this site.
Let us know how it works out.

Hey I appreciTe the advices here but this is the same
Forum that deals with cars and anything with engines. I bet the same guys in this thread would suggest me getting under my car before messing with a torsion spring. I bet I can find more gory stories about cars falling on people than torsion springs kill. I still don't get what's so dangerous about it? The worst would be, the bar gets slung and goes flying at my walls or worst, my car that's parked inside. Other than that, if it slips loose, the spring might make a loud noise since it can't really go
Flying anywhere once it's bolted to the center bracket and on the garage shaft.

Hey I appreciTe the advices here but this is the same
Forum that deals with cars and anything with engines. I bet the same guys in this thread would suggest me getting under my car before messing with a torsion spring. I bet I can find more gory stories about cars falling on people than torsion springs kill. I still don't get what's so dangerous about it? The worst would be, the bar gets slung and goes flying at my walls or worst, my car that's parked inside. Other than that, if it slips loose, the spring might make a loud noise since it can't really go
Flying anywhere once it's bolted to the center bracket and on the garage shaft.
Worst case scenario is you or someone near by gets impaled by a 1/2" steel rod at just below supersonic speeds. Springs hold a ton of kinetic energy and dont ask before killing you.

Back
Top Bottom