• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia becoming a QDM state?

Everybody has very compelling arguments about QDM. I had my own opinion on which side I was going to write on. This thread has put the nail in the coffin for me.

Thanks everyone,
Post a copy of your paper for us, if you don't mind. I'd like to read your thoughts on the subject as well.

Personally, I'd like to see the entire state regulate the min number of points on antlers to 8(min of 4/side). There's nothing that erks me more, that seeing somebody coming out of the woods with a spiker or 4 pointer BC they didn't want to end the season empty handed. Small bucks become big bucks. Now, I've seen massive 6 point bucks that would make Great Wall mounts and I'm sure mistakes will be made and small 6'rs will get shot, but there's no reason for something with 4 points or less to be shot, unless it's a doe
So you wouldn't drop an old 4 point or spike just to get it out of the gene pool? We have a spike that's atleast 4 years old, and all he's been is a spike. Killing him would be the the definition of QDM in my eyes. I'm not for restrictions any farther than what is already in place, if anything were to change lower the number of does that can be taken. I'm a meat hunter but don't see where and how anyone could continuously kill 10 does a year.

Everybody has very compelling arguments about QDM. I had my own opinion on which side I was going to write on. This thread has put the nail in the coffin for me.

Thanks everyone,

Post a copy of your paper for us, if you don't mind. I'd like to read your thoughts on the subject as well.

Exactly!

It's your thread. If you've had a change of heart, or not, you have your own opinion and should share.
"It's for the children" applies here for me more than anything else. They are the future of hunting and their future is more important to me than my own hunting conquests. If shooting a spike at 10 years old makes them a lifelong hunter, awesome. I shot my share of small bucks when I was young.

I would love to see it go QDM... If people would stop shooting everything they see and let deer go, the population would benefit and kids/hunters would see more deer every time they went. Granted I'm only 26 years old and have been hunting since I was 5, growing up we had only 5 days to shoot does all year. Yes, thanksgiving and Christmas. But I loved going and seeing does every time I hunted. It kept me interested, I learned deer behavior and enjoyed watching them and not being able to shoot. Almost everyone has the "I have to kill something every time I go attitude" and ever since the doe limit kept getting pushed to where it is at now, people don't see anything and when they finally do they want to shoot it. I hunted 16 times this year before I saw the first deer. Put a bounty on coyotes, limit the doe days and let small bucks grow, you could see a significant rise in deer population. If people seen more deer when they hunted, they could let small bucks walk... But that's a different story for another day.

So you wouldn't drop an old 4 point or spike just to get it out of the gene pool? We have a spike that's atleast 4 years old, and all he's been is a spike. Killing him would be the the definition of QDM in my eyes. I'm not for restrictions any farther than what is already in place, if anything were to change lower the number of does that can be taken. I'm a meat hunter but don't see where and how anyone could continuously kill 10 does a year.
If it was my property and I was managing the game, than yes. But I hunt for meat more than wall mounts. If I'm hunting for something with points, then I want the big boy. I've already passed on several 4-6pts this year. But nobody will ever be able to convince me, that shooting a button/spiker is part of "management". If you're hunting public land and shooting 4pts or smaller, it's more about not going home empty handed, than it is about management

If it was my property and I was managing the game, than yes. But I hunt for meat more than wall mounts. If I'm hunting for something with points, then I want the big boy. I've already passed on several 4-6pts this year. But nobody will ever be able to convince me, that shooting a button/spiker is part of "management". If you're hunting public land and shooting 4pts or smaller, it's more about not going home empty handed, than it is about management
I guess I misunderstood what you were saying in your earlier post. I can agree with you on shooting a big buck if you're gonna shoot one, but I do have to say if I really and truly need the meat I will shoot a small buck, but it's not something I'd like to do, I'd rather take a doe than a little bitty buck unless it was a jacked up buck that had bad genes or I absolutely need the meat.

I guess I misunderstood what you were saying in your earlier post. I can agree with you on shooting a big buck if you're gonna shoot one, but I do have to say if I really and truly need the meat I will shoot a small buck, but it's not something I'd like to do, I'd rather take a doe than a little bitty buck unless it was a jacked up buck that had bad genes or I absolutely need the meat.
I agree with you and I completely understand why people do it, if the meat is the true need. What I don't like(personally), is people that have tagged out or have more than they need in meat, but take a small buck because they haven't taken 1 in the season. Now there's also cases where people are helping others by giving them the meat, which is a solid deed in itself. I just prefer to take the doe for meet and 8s or big bucks for bragging rights with friends. I would never think pass judgement on somebody that's taking a small buck to put meat in the freezer and food on the table.

I would love to see it go QDM... If people would stop shooting everything they see and let deer go, the population would benefit and kids/hunters would see more deer every time they went. Granted I'm only 26 years old and have been hunting since I was 5, growing up we had only 5 days to shoot does all year. Yes, thanksgiving and Christmas. But I loved going and seeing does every time I hunted. It kept me interested, I learned deer behavior and enjoyed watching them and not being able to shoot. Almost everyone has the "I have to kill something every time I go attitude" and ever since the doe limit kept getting pushed to where it is at now, people don't see anything and when they finally do they want to shoot it. I hunted 16 times this year before I saw the first deer. Put a bounty on coyotes, limit the doe days and let small bucks grow, you could see a significant rise in deer population. If people seen more deer when they hunted, they could let small bucks walk... But that's a different story for another day.
That's kind of my thought as well. There's been too many times where people have shot something, "just because" they wanted another buck. I can count on one hand how many people shot a tiny buck BC they truly needed meat(which I'm fine with), but can't begin to count the number of people that have shot one because they had a spot left on their harvest tag and wanted more than they needed.

Back
Top Bottom