• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia Deer Hunting Reulations

Trader Jordon

Default rank <3500 posts
Family, Faith and Freedom
251   0
Reaction score
I know I might sound like a noob, but I was trying to find the laws and regulations on what firearms you can and can't use in Georgia for hunting deer. I have always used the same rifle but wanted to know what else I owned that I could use and I can't find any information on their site. Help a Brother Out!

Having taken the hunters Ed course in March I remember the smallest you can hunt with is a .22 hornet (thats the centerfire IIRC) but no mention of anything too large. But I dont think I would hunt down Bambi with a :laser:. But thats just me...LOL... dont know if I am much help. What are you thinking of using might be a better way of asking that.

EDIT: I think I remember something about .410 is not legal as well. Rifles have to be centerfire I think was the only requirement by the state. Certian areas may have other regs.

Last edited:
Here ya go: http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/deer-hunting-seasons-regulations/. - from the horse's mouth (aka GA DNR).

From pg 17 of 2013-14 Hunting Regs: http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/13GAHD-FINAL-LR.pdf

Rifles: Centerfire only, .22 cal or larger with expanding bullets. There is no restriction on magazine capacity on rifles.

Shotgun: 20g or larger, buckshot or slug. No buckshot on WMA's.

SPECiAL FiREARM RESTRiCTiONS
Plugged Shotguns: Shotguns must be plugged to a maximum capacity of 3 shells (magazine and chamber combined) except for deer, bear and feral hog shotguns, which are limited to maximum capacity of 5 shells. Plugs must be one piece and incapable of being removed through the loading end of the magazine.
Suppressors: Suppressors may not be used for hunting.

Last edited:
All rifle rounds must be expanding type. No fmj
Shotgun is limited to 20ga or larger if I remember right I know no .410

Shotgun is buckshot and slug only
Except wma which is slug only.

Btw if you plan on using something like a ar or ak something with a big magazine print out the section about the rifle has no magazine limits cause not all officers arent up to date on all the rules.

It got me out of a jam when I ran into a high polished new dnr guy that come from another state wanting to sling his middle stick around and show how big it was about the AR I had with a 30rd mag in it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom