• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia legal distance for shooting near buildings.

Just me

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
19   0
Reaction score
I am aware Georgia law states we have to be at least 50 yards from a public road to shoot our firearms. However I was told by a local deputy it is against the law to shoot within 500 feet of a home or building. Does anyone know the law about relating to this?

I am aware Georgia law states we have to be at least 50 yards from a public road to shoot our firearms. However I was told by a local deputy it is against the law to shoot within 500 feet of a home or building. Does anyone know the law about relating to this?

It is not allowed to HUNT less than 50 yards from a public road, per Georgia hunting regulations. As the deputy informed you, it is illegal to SHOOT/DISCHARGE A FIREARM within 500 feet of a home or building, per Georgia statutes.

It is not allowed to HUNT less than 50 yards from a public road, per Georgia hunting regulations. As the deputy informed you, it is illegal to SHOOT/DISCHARGE A FIREARM within 500 feet of a home or building, per Georgia statutes.

Big thanks for your reply.. I've looked everywhere and can't find this one.. Another deputy said what you are saying then said this must be a law they could not or did not enforce so that is why I am confused.

Last edited:

Hope that 500 feet is for other peoples houses. Me, I'm sitting on my upper deck and cranking off rounds on a regular basis.

Just me, barrow has told me 500 foot and they've told me 50 yards. They have no idea what it is.

But get this, I had a Game warden come out once about some poaching and I got to talking to him about it and he told me barrow county didn't have a distance ordinance!? Either way, I'm far enough away that I do t have to worry about it, but I tend to believe the game warden would be right as I think he would deal with this type of situation more often than BCSD.

I've looked and can't find it either, so I guess us barrow county folks are left to figure it out on our own.

O.C.G.A. 16-11-103 states that it is a midemeanor to discharge a firearm within 50 yards of a street or highway.

I believe the bldg. code/ local statutes pertaining to discharging one is different for different areas but your local D.A.'s office should be able to tell you.

Last edited:
Just me, barrow has told me 500 foot and they've told me 50 yards. They have no idea what it is.

But get this, I had a Game warden come out once about some poaching and I got to talking to him about it and he told me barrow county didn't have a distance ordinance!? Either way, I'm far enough away that I do t have to worry about it, but I tend to believe the game warden would be right as I think he would deal with this type of situation more often than BCSD.

I've looked and can't find it either, so I guess us barrow county folks are left to figure it out on our own.

Big thanks!! I know some that work for DNR and will do what you did and discuss this with one of them.. The one deputy told me it was a state law.

Back
Top Bottom