• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia Weapons Carry License Renewal

Bryan County was a breeze. Sat down with the clerk for a few minutes in her office, took a pic, paid and left. Less than two weeks later they called to tell me it was ready. I asked if someone else could pick it up for me and they said, "sure, no problem". My son picked it up for me the next day.

I did mine in Barrow County about a month ago. Like others have said, a little paperwork...very similar to a 4473...pay $$$, picture taken, filled out a self-addressed envelope, got the new permit in about 10 days in my mail box. Pretty easy, but not in keeping with the original intent of the US Constitution. Bet George Washington didn't need to pay for one. I put up with it because it makes buying a new gun an easier process.

Downside is you forfeit any time you had left on your expiring permit. Mine was due to expire on 10-15-2019, my new one runs from 8-20-2019 to 8-20-2024, so I forfeited the time I had paid for between 8-20-2019 and 10-15-2019, almost 2 months.

TIP....If you live in a more rural county, wait until about a week or 2 before your permit is due to expire to renew it.

I did mine in Barrow County about a month ago. Like others have said, a little paperwork...very similar to a 4473...pay $$$, picture taken, filled out a self-addressed envelope, got the new permit in about 10 days in my mail box. Pretty easy, but not in keeping with the original intent of the US Constitution. Bet George Washington didn't need to pay for one. I put up with it because it makes buying a new gun an easier process.

Downside is you forfeit any time you had left on your expiring permit. Mine was due to expire on 10-15-2019, my new one runs from 8-20-2019 to 8-20-2024, so I forfeited the time I had paid for between 8-20-2019 and 10-15-2019, almost 2 months.

TIP....If you live in a more rural county, wait until about a week or 2 before your permit is due to expire to renew it.

I agree with you on not keeping with the US Constitution meaning as far as arms are concerned. It will be 2 weeks tomorrow since I dropped in to renew my WCL. Mine will expire on 10/7 and they issued me a temporary permit for $1.00 and I think it is good for 90 days. I was at Bass Pro the other day and asked the guy at the gun counter if that temporary permit would allow me use it in lieu of a background check and he said yes. That was encouraging to know.

Didn’t realize mine was expired for several months, had to go through the entire process again. Other than that, which is my fault, Paulding Co was very smooth and friendly.

same for me. I went to purchase a new pistol this week and didn't realize mine had expired. past the 30 day window. guess I'll pay a visit to Dekalb county courthouse next week.
Same thing happened to me ha. Cherokee County is so efficient the only difference in a new or renewal is a few more mins for fingerprints and an extra $50. I was in and out in 15 mins and got my new card within a week.

I didn't realize mine had expired plus we moved last November. I went to Gordon County Probate, was in and out within 30 minutes, including time for the IT guy to fix the computer that wouldn't take a picture. 9 business days later they called to say I could pick them up. When we lived in Bartow County, it took 4 weeks and they mailed them.

Back
Top Bottom