• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Georgia Weapons Carry License Renewal

Some County Probate Offices are more expeditious than others in turning the WCL renewals around. My wife and I applied for renewal 3 weeks ago yesterday and are still waiting. They told us to not expect it for 4 to 6 weeks. Don't understand why some take longer than others, especially when some of the larger counties turn theirs around in 2 weeks or less.

I have lived in Hall County all of my life and have had a Carry Permit every since I turned 21. The first Carry Permit was obtained from the County Ordinary, now called the Probate Judge. The process then was that the license was for a single pistol and it to be carried open. You had to carry the pistol to the Ordinary’s office where they got the serial number, caliber and make of the gun for the license. You also had to have someone sign a bond for you. I forget where it was for $500 or $1000. That was the process then. I forget how long the license was good for seems like it was 2 years. A lot of difference now and then.
Same here. Chatham County, and I believe it was $3.00.

8C04BB53-0E0E-4F16-8155-95C2A323C65D.jpeg
Well, the WCL finally arrived today. Total time from application for renewal to receiving the WCL in the mail was 25 days. Slightly less than the 4 to 6 weeks we were told when we applied. Not too long of a wait but still somewhat more than some of the adjoining and larger counties than Hall. I guess it all depends on the efficiency of the local Probate Judges Office.

Back
Top Bottom