• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Get home pack. What do you have in it?

Gear is a supplement to knowledge and ability. Carrying a lot of gear usually indicates quite a bit of doubt about one's abilities. The added weight tends to slow one down even further, making the trip even harder to accomplish. How do we balance the two? By learning to do. Learn to hike, learn to sleep outdoors with minimal shelter, (notice I said minimal, not no.) Learn to make do with less. Learn that you can accomplish great things without the aid of technological crutches.

It's also quite easy to get caught up in what-if's... What if my knife breaks, what if I don't carry enough ammo, what if I run out of matches, what if I lose my fire steel, etc. The quick answer is to know not only your limitations, but the limitations of the tools you do carry with you as well.

-Are you packing a Glock because you've personally put 5000 rounds through it in stressful shooting matches and classes or because the general consensus is that Glocks are bullet proof and never fail?

-Are you carrying an AR because someone decided it would be a good idea to have some form of rifle caliber for the long trek home or because you've taken enough rifle classes with time constraints on the shooting problems that you know what you are capable of with that rifle under stress at various distances?

-Are you carrying a certain pack because you fell prey to slick advertising and glowing reviews of compensated YouTube personalities or because you've used it on a 12 mile hike over a weekend?

So forth and so on. Learn your gear and you'll learn yourself.

Let's face it folks, we can't carry everything on our backs, hips, and feet. "Travel light, freeze at night," is a mantra I picked up from a friend and it has stuck with me. I'm still working on slimming down my bags, I have two by the way. One is a hybrid GHB/EDC. It's actually a sling bag and it has a few "emergency items" as well as little things that get me through the day if I didn't plan well. Things like phone cords, ear buds, a battery stick/speaker combo, spare batteries, spare pens and pencils, spare clothes, under clothes, and socks, in case I have some sort of need to change. A fixed blade knife and a leatherman. A boo-boo kit. A quality tourniquet! Not one of the cheap knock-offs, or RATS crap. Wound packing compound, so forth and so on.

The bigger bag is getting streamlined down hard. I had it under 40 pounds without water. There's a Camelback and 2 smaller 1 liter collapsible canteens in the bag and I want to get it to 40 pounds or less with the water. Yes I have a filter. Yes I know how to use it. The point is That's roughly 11 pounds off the pack weight without the water. Most of my food is either freeze dried or packets of instant oatmeal and grits, (cheese grits, no sugar. :) ,) so I'm rather dependent on having a source of clean water for food. I do have some power bars and the like, but they tend to take up space.

In conclusion, I spent the last twenty minutes thinking about and typing this not because I have a better setup or mindset than anyone else, but because I want to see everyone here be successful should we ever have to face an emergency that requires the use of the contents of our pack, bags, rucks, trash bags, etc.

Gear is a supplement to knowledge and ability. Carrying a lot of gear usually indicates quite a bit of doubt about one's abilities. The added weight tends to slow one down even further, making the trip even harder to accomplish. How do we balance the two? By learning to do. Learn to hike, learn to sleep outdoors with minimal shelter, (notice I said minimal, not no.) Learn to make do with less. Learn that you can accomplish great things without the aid of technological crutches.

It's also quite easy to get caught up in what-if's... What if my knife breaks, what if I don't carry enough ammo, what if I run out of matches, what if I lose my fire steel, etc. The quick answer is to know not only your limitations, but the limitations of the tools you do carry with you as well.

-Are you packing a Glock because you've personally put 5000 rounds through it in stressful shooting matches and classes or because the general consensus is that Glocks are bullet proof and never fail?

-Are you carrying an AR because someone decided it would be a good idea to have some form of rifle caliber for the long trek home or because you've taken enough rifle classes with time constraints on the shooting problems that you know what you are capable of with that rifle under stress at various distances?

-Are you carrying a certain pack because you fell prey to slick advertising and glowing reviews of compensated YouTube personalities or because you've used it on a 12 mile hike over a weekend?

So forth and so on. Learn your gear and you'll learn yourself.

Let's face it folks, we can't carry everything on our backs, hips, and feet. "Travel light, freeze at night," is a mantra I picked up from a friend and it has stuck with me. I'm still working on slimming down my bags, I have two by the way. One is a hybrid GHB/EDC. It's actually a sling bag and it has a few "emergency items" as well as little things that get me through the day if I didn't plan well. Things like phone cords, ear buds, a battery stick/speaker combo, spare batteries, spare pens and pencils, spare clothes, under clothes, and socks, in case I have some sort of need to change. A fixed blade knife and a leatherman. A boo-boo kit. A quality tourniquet! Not one of the cheap knock-offs, or RATS crap. Wound packing compound, so forth and so on.

The bigger bag is getting streamlined down hard. I had it under 40 pounds without water. There's a Camelback and 2 smaller 1 liter collapsible canteens in the bag and I want to get it to 40 pounds or less with the water. Yes I have a filter. Yes I know how to use it. The point is That's roughly 11 pounds off the pack weight without the water. Most of my food is either freeze dried or packets of instant oatmeal and grits, (cheese grits, no sugar. :) ,) so I'm rather dependent on having a source of clean water for food. I do have some power bars and the like, but they tend to take up space.

In conclusion, I spent the last twenty minutes thinking about and typing this not because I have a better setup or mindset than anyone else, but because I want to see everyone here be successful should we ever have to face an emergency that requires the use of the contents of our pack, bags, rucks, trash bags, etc.
One thought that makes a big difference when setting up a GHB. You won't be carrying it until you need it, so no matter how much stuff you have it's an easy carry in a vehicle. Then remember that it's easy to dump anything you feel you don't need for the situation you're in, but if you don't have it to start with, you're not getting it at all.

One thought that makes a big difference when setting up a GHB. You won't be carrying it until you need it, so no matter how much stuff you have it's an easy carry in a vehicle. Then remember that it's easy to dump anything you feel you don't need for the situation you're in, but if you don't have it to start with, you're not getting it at all.
Ive gone down that path as well. It basically boils down to having stuff to sort through vs being able to saddle up and head out.

Even if I had to head out immediately, I want the ruck where I can move at a steady pace for four or five hours if need be.

Ive gone down that path as well. It basically boils down to having stuff to sort through vs being able to saddle up and head out.

Even if I had to head out immediately, I want the ruck where I can move at a steady pace for four or five hours if need be.
It only takes a few minutes if you have thought it through beforehand and you should be able to grab the ruck and mover to a spot you have the opportunity to do that with relative ease. If you can't do that, you're ****ed anyway.

Again, if you have it to start with, you have a choice about it.

It only takes a few minutes if you have thought it through beforehand and you should be able to grab the ruck and mover to a spot you have the opportunity to do that with relative ease. If you can't do that, you're ****ed anyway.

Again, if you have it to start with, you have a choice about it.
No arguments here. I'm going with the multiple bag route for now.

Don't forget the chafe zone stick for you guys like me that chafe badly while walking/ sweating.

I pretty much take in a get home bag what I would take in my hunting pack but add a sub 2000 and a matching pistol, couple more water bottles, emergency blanket, rain gear, hammock, rope, fire gear, cliff bars, and I'm looking into sat phones to contact wife if cells are down.

Don't forget the chafe zone stick for you guys like me that chafe badly while walking/ sweating.

I pretty much take in a get home bag what I would take in my hunting pack but add a sub 2000 and a matching pistol, couple more water bottles, emergency blanket, rain gear, hammock, rope, fire gear, cliff bars, and I'm looking into sat phones to contact wife if cells are down.

Ditto on the chafe zone stick, and be sure to walk a few miles wearing your ghb clothes to make sure they're comfy. I've bought same brand/size jeans and had one pair burn my a** up.

Yeah man.....nothing can kill your momentum like a severely chafed ass.
I'm not overweight either I just have really sensitive skin I guess.
I've tried monkey butt-didn't work.
Powders don't work.
Aquafor is great for overnight soothing once the burn needs healing but for you guys that chafe badly you know that you basically gotta sleep naked with your ass all lathered up with awuafor under a ceiling fan all night just to be able to walk the next day and still you need another full day of healing if you're gonna be walking.

Really for guys that chafe like this it's truly a debilitating situation with every step you take.
Yeah comfy, breatheable pants and preventative maintenance, keeping clean and dry are considerations with this.

I keep a small "ass kit" in my bag which is the chafe zone stick, a wash cloth and a thin bar of gentle, non perfumed disinfectant soap.

The chafe zone does not work (after) your ass is chafed...you gotta put it on before you start your trek and the more you sweat the better it works.

It does have a hint of Ben gay smell which is fine unless you put it on while already chafed then you burn like you wiped with hot peppers.....got it?

In this case your gonna need powder or something soothing.

Wow....sorry for the rant but this shot can be a serious game stopper or one hell of a painful adventure if one decides to keep moving without help.

It's usually the worst once you stop walking and dry off a bit then the swelling and bleeding starts.

Stick a tube of quality diaper rash cream in your bag. Something with zinc oxide, I use (hold laughter, please) Aveeno baby by J&J. Works wonders.

Back
Top Bottom