• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting into .223 reloading...

dunkel

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
75   0
Reaction score
So finally got all my AR parts ordered and starting to look into reloading options for .223. I have some basic equipment and supplies, but looking at .223, it seems I'm going to need some more stuff.

First, dies...I understand that I'm going to need to full length resize, so will standard two die sets work? I need full length sizer and bullet seater, correct? Any other dies necessary?

Powder...I'm looking at Varget. Seems to get good results for people and fills the case well, which lowers chances of double charges.

Other equipment I don't have...a case trimmer? Am I to understand that if I full length resize .223 brass, trimming might become necessary?

I'm currently loading handgun calibers with a hand press, but I know a real press will come in handy due to the full length resizing and the quantities I'm going to want to do.

Anyway, any tips would be useful. Thanks.

I'm an absolute newbie to the concept of reloads (I am still in the research-then-maybe-invest later stage). From what I have seen, the 223 doesn't look to be a cost effective reload caliber for standard loads ( not meaning to hijack your thread). Am I misinformed? Thanks!

I'm an absolute newbie to the concept of reloads (I am still in the research-then-maybe-invest later stage). From what I have seen, the 223 doesn't look to be a cost effective reload caliber for standard loads ( not meaning to hijack your thread). Am I misinformed? Thanks!

That's also something I'm looking into. There seems to be a more substantial initial investment compared to my pistol setup. I'll have to crunch some numbers, but yeah, I think it'd take several thousand rounds to get back my money, at least.

Varget is a great all around powder, but I prefer a better metering powder for high volume loading. H335 and W748 have been my favorites over the years.

I also load for the 6.8, and found H322 to be superior for my application in it, so I've been using H322 for the .223 also. It meters very well, yields good accuracy, and a few more rounds per pound. I started buying the H322 in 8lb lots.

I don't know that the Lee Factory Crimp die is really necessary, but I use one when loading for an autoloader.

You don't save a lot of money loading for an AR, but I enjoy it enough to make it worthwhile for me.

Dunkel I picked up reloading equipment for the AR from a match shooter. I still haven't played with it but he insisted that the small base dies were needed for it. Something else to think about may be an RCBS x-die. They claim you trim once then never again with it.

Right now I'm still testing BLC(2) with 55 Grain Jacketed SP.

Experience to date is that you really need to watch your investment
in .223 or you will be paying more than retail for it. IMHO, You can
achieve good loaded .223 for around $0.22 per round +/- 2 cents (including brass) if
you are very careful about how much and where you buy your components. Reusing the brass can
bring the costs down by about 8-10 cents - Keep in mind that this is a small case and processing it
is time-consuming!

Back
Top Bottom