• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting into .223 reloading...

Just to echo two comments: Varget powder is really better for heavier bullets and I have found bigger bore as well where slow burners come into their own. So as has already been said, go with something else...Ngcsugrad09's suggestions are good...also consider IMR4064.

As to case trimming, you should be able to fire and reload several times before having to trim. Not a lot of need for trimming in .223 in my experience before 10 cycles.

Well, I'm going to keep looking at different powders for now. A buddy of mine uses Varget for .308, so I might steal a few grains from him to see how it shoots in my AR15. But from the feedback I got here, I think I'll probably end up going with something else.

So my Lee Classic Cast press came in today. Got it all put together and set up. I'll post a pic later...I wasn't able to mount it directly to the workbench, so I kinda had to improvise. It's solid, but looks a little unconventional, I think.

It feels real strong and I just threw on my .45 dies to try out all the functions. I picked up a Lee Powder Disc system from another member on here a while back and that really sped up the whole operation. I'm still hand priming with a Lee Auto Prime tool, but I see where there's the place for a priming tool to attach to the press itself, so I'll probably get that eventually. Overall, I really think this is going to greatly speed up my reloading...of course, I've been using a Lee Classic Loader and Lee Hand Press up till now, so I'd hope it'd get a little faster, lol.

Only problem I encountered was when attaching the handle...the bolt they included for the handle pivot twisted and sheared right off as I was tightening it down. Had to run up to Home Depot and grab another one. The same one was .31...but I splurged on the heavy duty one for .70...figured it was worth the extra expense, lol. After that, it went right together and I was up and running.

Thanks again for all the input, guys. I'll update the thread when I finally start getting some .223 cranked out.

Just to echo two comments: Varget powder is really better for heavier bullets and I have found bigger bore as well where slow burners come into their own. So as has already been said, go with something else...Ngcsugrad09's suggestions are good...also consider IMR4064.

Well, I think I'm going to try some heavier 75-77gr loads at some point. I have the faster twist rate, so might as well take advantage of it. I've seen some decent deals on heavier bullets at a couple places. Course, that's still not, for example, a 150 .308 bullet.

As to case trimming, you should be able to fire and reload several times before having to trim. Not a lot of need for trimming in .223 in my experience before 10 cycles.

I don't have the specs in front of me right now, but I measured my once fired brass from my first couple of range trips and they were all well within normal limits. I'll probably pick one up eventually, but yeah, it doesn't seem like it's going to be a tremendously pressing concern to start with.

Unless you're pushing the 70Gr bullets really hot, you're not going to see much expansion in this cartridge...and even if you are, trimming isn't really a necessity for awhile. Save your money on a case trimmer and buy more ammo! :cool:

Unless you're pushing the 70Gr bullets really hot, you're not going to see much expansion in this cartridge...and even if you are, trimming isn't really a necessity for awhile. Save your money on a case trimmer and buy more ammo! :cool:

Everyone's experiences are different, but many cases/brass will require a trim after the first full length sizing. Trimming
isn't something I overlook, or take lightly. A long case can cause a dramatic increase in pressure on what's normally
considered a plinking load. CD

You don't have to break the bank with a trimmer, and you DO need one. If you are going to FL size your cases every time, you are going to need one sooner or later. I suggest that you pick up a Lee cutter and case length gauge for trimming. You can get both for about $10 at midway and even a little cheaper at Grafs or Midsouth Shooters Supply
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/107333/lee-case-length-gage-and-shellholder-223-remington
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/136199/lee-case-trimmer-cutter-with-ball-grip?cm_vc=S014ID107333

You will also need to lubricate the brass before trying to resize them. I have my own recipe for lube so I won't put a link up for that.

If you ask 10 people about powder suggestions, you will probably get about 10 different recommendations. I have used Varget for years and will continue to use it when loading for my ARs. I just started working up a ladder test for my .223 Weatherby using Accurate 2230 powder. I have used it in the past and it is also a good powder for .223, it was developed with the .223 in mind.

A Lee Zip Trim to go with the Lee cutter will run you less than $20 will do a fine job. AA2230 is my go to for loading .223. I first chose it for .223 plinking rounds because it metered so much better than Varget out of my powder dispenser. I started working loads for the Nosler 55gr ballistic tip and found this powder to do every bit as well as Varget.

I have a case trimmer that for the life of me I cannot remember what it is called . I have it mounted in a 99 dollar drill press from harbor freight .kick on the drill press and trimming is a snap .I trim every case every time I resize them .I randomly check the thickness of the case wall . in 10 years of reloading 223 ,I have never found a case that cause me to worry about the thickness of the brass . granted I may go through 1000 rounds in 12 months . and that is a big maybe . I did not fire a single 223 round in all of 2011

Back
Top Bottom