• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Getting Into CB Radio

I got into it real bad several years ago. Cobra29LTD classic, nice little one pill linear n either a 102 whip (better) or a Wilson 5 foot fiberglass. I talked to Maryland all night one night from my driveway. Neighbors heard me on their TV though! LOL. Skipped to Tenn during rush hour one time. Its nice to talk to folks in traffic. Drove from here to Michigan on I-75...so worth it. Knew where every cop was and if the roads were navigable due to the snowstorm that year. Sold 'em all for cash but now I want to get back into it and get a new one. Break Break Break....Coletrain just got doowwnn on the one nine break break break!!! Try the CB internet forum or CBRT for fun and info.

That brings back some memories of my teenage years. My Dad figured out how to mod an SBE Trinidad to get a few channels above the standard 23 channels of that day. One morning in the heat of the summer I was able to carry on a short conversation with a guy in California, from Louisville, KY on just 4 watts on a Radio Shack 5/8 wave ground plane. I was hooked at that point and got a friend interested in DX'ing. He had a set of Moonraker IV's and he then got a 200 watt linear. We talked to people all over the country and even South America once and collected a bunch of QSO cards.

Fun times!

I still talk on the CB on a base station but I haven't had a mobile in a while.
I still have some mobiles but not installed.
If anyone needs base, base linears, mobile or mobile linears... Hit me up.
If you need work done to any, I have friends in Bartow and Polk county that services them and both guys have over 25 years experience with CB and Amateur equipment.

I am looking to buy a mobile unit. I don’t necessarily want to buy top of the line but not bottom ether. So far I have found a couple of places but I don’t feel comfortable with the way they are going about the process. I know I can go to the local truck stop and purchase all that I need but I would like to also meet like minded people to get to know and learn about why I want this or that and not just have someone try to sell me something.

I don’t know anyone that has a CB, no friends or family and it has been years since I had one. I have a low power hand held unit but don’t hear much on any channel and I am looking to find someone to educate me.

I am reading too much about folks doing things that may be a little shady when it comes to people getting in that know little or nothing about the subject.

Finding a "GOLDEN SCREW DRIVER" is easy. I purchase a Cobra 29LTD Classic, took it to someone to "Peak and Tune". I have since found out he cut a circuit that from what I hear is detrimental long term to the radio. I opened it up found the cut and re-soldered it.

I have since purchased a Uniden 980SSB and have a Sirio P5000 antenna on the way. Can't get the K30 or the Wilson Lil Wil antennas to tune.

Now I'm looking at putting up a DIPOLE antenna at the house and maybe setting up a base radio. I went to my mom and dad's and dug out an old Johnson Messenger 23 channel mobile and a Johnson White Face base radio that my dad still had.

Attachments

• 980SSB.JPG
    980SSB.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom