• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Getting rid of majority of collection & ATF new rule

This new rule does not pertain to you unless you bought the guns with the intent of selling for a profit. Just list your guns and sell them for fair market value and don't worry about all the nonsense you read on the internet.
the problem is the guy who bought the python for 400 bucks. its been in the safe since God only knows when.. now its worth thousands... you cant deny he will make a profit on the sale... as far as intent to make a profit... how do you prove a negative? its like asking "when did you stop beating your wife?"
i know this should not be even a question, but the people who made the rule are not reasonable.....

the problem is the guy who bought the python for 400 bucks. its been in the safe since go only knows when.. now its worth thousands... you cant deny he will make a profit on the sale... as far as intent to make a profit... how do you prove a negative? its like asking "when did you stop beating your wife?"
i know this should not be even a question, but the people who made the rule are not reasonable.....
If you were to read the rule or even a good breakdown of it you will see that the guy who is selling a gun that has been in the safe for god knows how long is not the subject of this new rule, which is again just a clarification of the rules concerning who is a dealer, without much change from what it has always been.
This guy is obviously not flipping guns or buying it with the intent of selling it at a profit 20 years down the road. This is more to do with the guys who we have all seen and I have even dealt with that buys several guns then sits in my driveway taking pics and listing them for sale for more than he paid for it. That is an extreme case of flipping but even if you are buying and selling in any short period of time and doing so frequently you would be under scrutiny.
As I said earlier, there is only a handful of members here that need to be concerned and they know who they are. The average gun collector, hobbyist, hunter has nothing to worry about under these new guidelines.

I think it's actually a lot more straightforward than that, unless you think the ATF is really "out to target you" personally. In which case they have a lot of other ways to eff you up.

If you establish a pattern of behavior, buying items and then selling them unfired or slightly fired, over a period of time, that's likely to attract some attention. That being said, there are some gun owners who do precisely that - quite innocently - because they are relatively well-off and can buy anything that takes their fancy, knowing they can sell it off and recoup almost all, if not a bit more than their initial investment.

For more conventional collectors, who buy a gun, fire it, and decide they don't like it, and sell it, volume will come into consideration, and probably whether you buy-sell-buy-sell-buy-sell basically the same model of gun.

The real 'tell' is if your trading style reveals that pattern of behavior.

I'm personally somewhat paranoid when it comes to the alphabet agencies and their motives, but this ruling barely moves the needle on my 'oh ****' mete

i have swapped guns around just to own them... these are guns i cant afford, but want to own/shoot for a little while...aka hobbyist...
i have had
a few high end ar's
a 50 bmg
kimber desert warrior
a texas ranger sig
desert eagle in 44 mag
a few high end chassis rifles
and a few others... as it is i cant afford/ justify owning them forever... but these are things that i had for months and years at a time.. but owning, shooting, and trading to get another unicorn....
i did not buy them to make money on them.. now its against the law for me to do?

If you were to read the rule or even a good breakdown of it you will see that the guy who is selling a gun that has been in the safe for god knows how long is not the subject of this new rule, which is again just a clarification of the rules concerning who is a dealer, without much change from what it has always been.
This guy is obviously not flipping guns or buying it with the intent of selling it at a profit 20 years down the road. This is more to do with the guys who we have all seen and I have even dealt with that buys several guns then sits in my driveway taking pics and listing them for sale for more than he paid for it. That is an extreme case of flipping but even if you are buying and selling in any short period of time and doing so frequently you would be under scrutiny.
but your counting on the atf to be reasonable.. thats like hoping the stray dog foaming at the mouth wont bite you when you try and hand him a hotdog...

IDK, I've bought and sold stuff (years ago) from BATFE guys on this site.
I met a deputy sheriff at his house once for a deal. didn't even want to see my papers. We talk a lot of **** about the fuzz...but almost all my personal interactions have been good. cept for that red head butch hooker with gwinnett PD in 2001.

I met a deputy sheriff at his house once for a deal. didn't even want to see my papers. We talk a lot of **** about the fuzz...but almost all my personal interactions have been good. cept for that red head butch hooker with gwinnett PD in 2001.
Well.....ginger so.....

Hopefully they aren’t looking for a guy like you. If you were buying/selling/flipping, I’d be saying either become a FFL or get underneath the umbrella of one.

As someone else said: They don’t have a complete picture of what you have and when you got it.

I would never tell you to give away your guns. Because they continually devalue our dollar the number of dollars it takes to buy anything is constantly increasing. The S&W 686 I purchased in 1980 for $200 is worth about 1k today.

If you decide to let something go, use your favorite FFL and let them do the 4437
Running $200 thru the inflation calculator from 1980 makes that $758.09 in todays dollars so its not far off.

i have swapped guns around just to own them... these are guns i cant afford, but want to own/shoot for a little while...aka hobbyist...
i have had
a few high end ar's
a 50 bmg
kimber desert warrior
a texas ranger sig
desert eagle in 44 mag
a few high end chassis rifles
and a few others... as it is i cant afford/ justify owning them forever... but these are things that i had for months and years at a time.. but owning, shooting, and trading to get another unicorn....
i did not buy them to make money on them.. now its against the law for me to do?
To do what? Trade into something better? No it is not against the law. Buying with the intent to sell to make money without a license has always been against the law.

Unfortunately. my eye is really worsening after the injury, and I also don't have time to shoot like I used to.
I've been contemplating reducing my collection that I collected since the '90s.

I don't want to part with my entire collection because I still enjoy shooting guns at my local club occasionally and enhancing their performance, etc.
With the new ATF rule, I don't know how to achieve the above without practically giving them away for free.

Is this new rule likely to take effect without any intervention?
What is the best course of action in my case to reduce my collection without any legal complication?
Got anything cool?

Back
Top Bottom