• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GHB contents

I'm visiting this thread for the first time after reading and thinking about that Urban Night Hike out of Atlanta thread.

I never had a "get home bag" as such, but my vehicle always has a lot of gear in it, leftover supplies from camping and hiking and hunting trips. I always have a change of clothes (usually just a sweat suit, sometimes jeans and swim trunks). I always have sneakers or hiking shoes in there. And sometimes a day-pack (book backpack), but other times just a gym bag.

A true "get home" bag for me, to walk home if I'm stranded while traveling on my normal daily routine, should be sufficient for a 30-mile, 3-day hike. Because I often travel 30 miles from home during the workday.

But that's a lot of stuff! Not to keep in the vehicle, but to put on your back and carry.

So now, I'm thinking about which is generally a better plan-- If I'm 30 miles from home and disaster struck and the highways are closed (or hopelessly clogged with traffic), should I plan on abandoning my vehicle (even assuming I can legally park it at some shopping center or office building parking lot) and take maybe 30 lbs. of gear on a 2-3 day hike...

... or should I plan on "car camping" right there, in Atlanta or anywhere else I happen to be when the S. hits the F., and spend the next 2-3 days in or near to my vehicle where I have 100 pounds of gear, and where the vehicle itself provides shelter, some level of security from attackers, and can (depending on the scenario) move me very quickly away from trouble, even if I can't use it to get home. (I'm thinking I could drive away from people who are harassing / stalking/ attacking me, and find a new camping / shelter-in-place spot several blocks away).

When it comes to water in a "get home bag," I don't think the rule of "you can survive 3 days without water" is accurate if you spend those days doing a lot of walking or other strenuous work. You can get dehydrated in just several hours.
See this OSHA tip sheet about working in warm conditions and being subject to overheating on the job.
https://www.osha.gov/Publications/osha-niosh-heat-illness-infosheet.pdf
I'd plan on carrying one quart of Gatorade or similar drink, PLUS two normal (16-20 oz.) size bottles of water, for each day I'm traveling. If I'm just sitting around, waiting, I wouldn't "need" that much, but for walking and staying active, I would.

That's 1.5 gallons of liquid for a 3-day hike back home. The drinks alone weighing about 12 lbs. It's doable, sure, but that takes up about half my pack's space.

What scenario would make tap water unavailable from people's faucets and hose spigots? The only thing I've ever heard of is contamination of the public drinking water system from flooding. Generally, people have water service all the time, even in natural disasters, even during riots and looting, etc.

I'd carry some small bills, $1's and $5's, and saving my empty drink containers. I'd make an offer to homeowners I see along the way-- "Can I refill my water bottle from your garden hose faucet? I'll give you a few bucks?"
If some business is open, I can make the same offer.
If the business is closed and their faucet is working, I'll just help myself to a few quarts of water.
(Oh no! I've turned into one of those dreaded looters!)

Thought I'd reanimate this thread after reading through it again.
Lots of great info on what's in the bags, but nothing on your vehicle.
Going to assume(?) that we all keep them serviced, with decent tires and fuel load.
To try to insure ability to get to where we need to be, I always have in the car several pre-paid gas cards from different companies and enough cash for a couple of fill ups. That way if credit card verification is down, still gtg.
Latest thought is a roll of silver Eagles, and a couple of 1/10 oz gold Eagles. There may come a point where a tank of gas would be worth $130 to keep you moving.
As usual, YMMV. Thoughts and suggestions?

Thought I'd reanimate this thread after reading through it again.
Lots of great info on what's in the bags, but nothing on your vehicle.
Going to assume(?) that we all keep them serviced, with decent tires and fuel load.
To try to insure ability to get to where we need to be, I always have in the car several pre-paid gas cards from different companies and enough cash for a couple of fill ups. That way if credit card verification is down, still gtg.
Latest thought is a roll of silver Eagles, and a couple of 1/10 oz gold Eagles. There may come a point where a tank of gas would be worth $130 to keep you moving.
As usual, YMMV. Thoughts and suggestions?

Need an air pump, I like the foot actuated ones.
Extra oil, extra coolant and brake fluid.
Aspirin. If your battery is about dead, you can drop it in and get a little more life out of it.

Id like to know about your weapon strategy.
That's where I'm kind of weak. Always have my carry of the day and knife of the day. Vehicle has dedicated Kel-Tec P11, spare 10rd mag and 2 spare 15rd mags in pouches. When I travel I usually take along my Gen1 Kel-Tec carbine w/5 20rd mags in its briefcase. Single caliber, 9mm, and except for the 10 rounders, all mags run in both guns. Also have an old S&W M59 that shares mags with them.
Got a fresh AR pistol with Law folding stock adapter in 300 BLK that I'm thinking of changing over to, but don't think I want the hassle of 2 different ammos.

Back
Top Bottom