• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GHB contents

2-3 Large trash bags, the item at the bottom left is a knit cap for my head. I should throw some wool socks, and a small blanket.

Good kit!

Just ignore if I overlooked something. I would:

Separate the tools in a shaving kit - leave it behind if you leave your truck.

Add (nothing critical or expensive):
tinder, like cotton balls/vaseline
leather gloves
Fleece blanket
T.P.

For winter:
rain pants
sweater

For summer:
mosquito headnet
water/gatorade (commercially packed-drink and toss)

---on average people walk at 2.72 MPH on flat terrain---
---a 7-10 mile hike is about all someone who doesn't exercise can handle-
---for the purpose of this discussion we are assuming that members of this forum EDC some type of personal defense weapon---

Basic short range kit up to 5 hours of travel (in no particular order)

Flashlight- help prevent injury traveling in dark
Rain gear (seasonally targeted)- avoid hypothermia
Good walking shoes (or hiking boots)- just something better than slick bottom office shoes
Water- (just a 20oz bottle) you won't die from walking 5 or 10 miles without water but it's a moral booster
A good sheath knife -just because you never know
A good multi-tool -should be an EDC item
Toilet paper (1/2 roll flattened) or a good handful of McDonalds napkins in a ziplock. It's like a parachute. You may not need it but if you do... Some also carry baby wipes and after laughing at them I now agree. It doesn't take long to feel "not to fresh" and nobody wants to walk a long way with swamp butt
A basic first aide kit -for you or other along your route.

Basic Intermediate range up to 12-15 hours (add to short range)
This assumes that as you get nearer to home you will be more motivated to complete the trip without an overnight rest

Extended light - back up batteries in case you walk thru the night
Extended water- maybe adding a second bottle
Warmth- maybe add a lighter and a sterno for a small fire to warm your hands while you take a break from walking and eat a snack. When you cool off start walking again and assume you will generate heat from walking, at least a few hours would be after dark with cooler temperatures
Food (some snack or energy bars)- this is more for moral as you take rest breaks. High moral is very important

Basic long range more than 1 day of travel including overnight resting
(Add to previous kits)
Over night kit - recommend hammock/tarp (with cordage) over a tent as you can not have a fire in a tent
Fire kit (you should practice and be familiar with the contents)
Hatchet or heavy machete - process fire wood/ shelter poles and other camp items as needed
Basic cook kit/food - it is a real moral booster to fiddle with a fire and make a warm meal. Dehydrated foods are recommended for weight savings
Wool blanket or sleeping bag (wool will still retain heat even when wet)
Extra socks to change or layer while sleeping
Water filter -you may not have access to tap water but you can't walk a mile in Georgia without seeing a stream or pond. Sayer filter over a life straw. With a lifestraw you have to suck the water up and spit it into your canteen (Johnny doesn't likey, lol). There are better options like a Katadyne that are far more expensive but also are superior

Its appx. 25 miles from my house to work. I need to add stuff to my bag. In a winter storm I'd just stay at work. If I'm at Ft.Knox and its a 6 hour drive ( appx. 370 miles ) thats a whole diffrent ball game. I like the idea of energy of having a few energy bars.

I carry them in my bag also (large sleeping bag style). They do kinda suck as your only blanket but make a great wind/water barrier. I've seen people use spray glue and attach them to the inside of thier tarps to reflect the radiant heat from a camp fire. I keep telling myself I will do that too but I guess I have an "around-to-it" problem. I just havnt gotten around to it yet, lol. I got mine from Wish.com
It's really hard to beat their prices but you have to wait a while for shipping

https://www.wish.com/m/search/Space blanket

Never heard of wish.Com , went there and saw this. Geez

https://www.wish.com/m/c/543ddb1802873a0e8d76e6fd

That site is awesomely cheap. I searched the word survival and just bought like 30 things for $56.

Last edited:
2-3 Large trash bags, the item at the bottom left is a knit cap for my head. I should throw some wool socks, and a small blanket.

Yep, it's looks good. Maybe add a $4 Walmart glacier cup that nests on the bottom of your water bottle. Very little added weight and a cup is surprisingly useful

Good kit!

Just ignore if I overlooked something. I would:

Separate the tools in a shaving kit - leave it behind if you leave your truck.

Add (nothing critical or expensive):
tinder, like cotton balls/vaseline
leather gloves
Fleece blanket
T.P.

For winter:
rain pants
sweater

For summer:
mosquito headnet
water/gatorade (commercially packed-drink and toss)
Agree completely. I swapped fleece for wool. It's heavier but about the same size until I roll it up inside of a tarp (8x10) I use 2 ($1 each) dog collars to keep it rolled up and the tag loops make perfect attachment points for a sling or to hang from the bag. Now it's a lot bigger than a fleece but also very useful

Never heard of wish.Com , went there and saw this. Geez

https://www.wish.com/m/c/543ddb1802873a0e8d76e6fd

That site is awesomely cheap. I searched the word survival and just bought like 30 things for $56.

I love Wish. Everything is delivered seperatley and it makes it fun to go the mail box each day. That's about 150yrd walk here so it's good to have a "motivator" lol

Back
Top Bottom