• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Glock/M&P?

The "first gen" M&Ps used carbon steel slides except the Pro series, which were stainless. From what I can gather, it was those carbon steel slides that were having the rusting problems. Now all slides are stainless and the rust issues seem to be non-existent.

Glock currently uses carbon steel as Carbon steel is stronger than stainless. If they do move production here, I imagine they will go to stainless as well. I imagine we will have another round of Glock KB caused by people using crap reloads in Glocks with unsupported chambers and the weaker stainless slides.

Glock currently uses carbon steel as Carbon steel is stronger than stainless. If they do move production here, I imagine they will go to stainless as well. I imagine we will have another round of Glock KB caused by people using crap reloads in Glocks with unsupported chambers and the weaker stainless slides.

Yeah, not sure what type of carbon or stainless either company uses. Some stainless steels, such as ZDP 189, S 30v and 154 CM are extremely hard steels, much harder than some carbon steels. The advantages of carbon are it's strength and it's weight (you probably already know this). The disadvantages are it's crystalization if not processed correctly (moreso with knives,doubt that it's an issue with slides due to different ways of manufacturing the metal) and it's ability to rust.

I may be wrong, but I thought Glock warned against using reloads in their guns to begin with?

I have purchased several Glocks over the years that people had "Upgraded" with aftermarket parts some quality, some no so much. A quick trip by Smryna, and I am back to factory new. This is a huge bonus to me, considering while Smith and Wesson may replace somebodies upgrades for free (never tried, don't know if they will or not) shipping is still going to cost me 60 bucks and I am going to be out my gun for two weeks.

Nothing wrong with the M&P, if it works for you that is awesome. I was just stating some advantages I see to the glock over the M&P.

Notice, nobody in this thread has given advantages of the M&P over the Glock other than ergonomics and trigger which are preference issues, and will not apply to every shooter.

The advantages I presented are not preference issues, and do apply to every shooter. Well I guess the Apex trigger thing is a preference issue....I'll give you that one. ;)
By all means, I love free stuff! If S&W was right down the street I would take advantage if they offered it. Not knocking anyone for doing so.

As far as night sights go, I think they are a waste of money. But that's my opinion and I also wouldn't knock someone for getting them.

My intent wasn't to create lines in the sand. I agree that the Glock is a great weapon, I just also know that the M&P is a great weapon and it serves my needs well. I chose based on my experience shooting both. Anyone considering the 2 should definitely form their own opinion by testing both guns out.

You can have 2 glocks or 2 m&p for the price of one hk. I wd be selling myself short if I done that

bought my usp40c lnib for $500 at daves guns and guy stuff in grifin, deals are out there if you keep your eyes peeled. you can buy 2 kia's for the price of a bmw also but you can't drive them at the same time.

The "first gen" M&Ps used carbon steel slides except the Pro series, which were stainless. From what I can gather, it was those carbon steel slides that were having the rusting problems. Now all slides are stainless and the rust issues seem to be non-existent.

Makes sense.... hence the letters on the slide that say,"Stainless Steel".

bought my usp40c lnib for $500 at daves guns and guy stuff in grifin, deals are out there if you keep your eyes peeled. you can buy 2 kia's for the price of a bmw also but you can't drive them at the same time.

Dang, that was a steal! I saw one at Clyde's Armory last weekend for $ 900.

Back
Top Bottom