• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

gold panning

Link no workie. Let us know how you do. I found a little yesterday.

OK the next big thing to discuss is all this black sand. Does anyone have a concentrator wheel or..... How to clean the gold out of the black sand?

Bump this Gold Panning thread... When you go into a creek to pan, where should you go? Inside bend, outside bend, sand bar, below a log??? I want to look where Natures sluice box has concentrated the gold.

I look at anything that will slow water down when the creek is up and running fast. Same thing I look for when looking for places to catch catfish in rivers. Where will the heavy stuff settle.

Link no workie. Let us know how you do. I found a little yesterday.

OK the next big thing to discuss is all this black sand. Does anyone have a concentrator wheel or..... How to clean the gold out of the black sand?

Get a rare earth magnet after you get down to the black sand and stick it in a plastic bag. Dry your sand then run the magnet over the sand and it will pull out the black sand. Remove the magnet from the bag and all the black sand will fall off.

I'll try that. I think I did once and you could sort of see the tiny gold speck still stuck in there.
I have ziploc bags of black sand from multiple creeks I need to clean up. Wish i had labeled them better!

Let me know if anyone is going and we can meet up. Nothing like shoveling sand and rocks in the hot sun to have a fun day!

I'll try that. I think I did once and you could sort of see the tiny gold speck still stuck in there.
I have ziploc bags of black sand from multiple creeks I need to clean up. Wish i had labeled them better!

Let me know if anyone is going and we can meet up. Nothing like shoveling sand and rocks in the hot sun to have a fun day!
If you can go Sunday I should be able to slip away for a little while.

nugget.jpgnugget2.jpg
bam!

Bump this Gold Panning thread... When you go into a creek to pan, where should you go? Inside bend, outside bend, sand bar, below a log??? I want to look where Natures sluice box has concentrated the gold.

A lot depends on the size of the creek. If you can find a long straight stretch on a small/med creek, dig right in the middle, do a pan or two, then do a pan or two from the right then left of your hole and see which may have more. The pay streak a lot of times can be a <foot away. But always get to bedrock or clay. If you are in a popular creek such as Sixes or Blankets, chances are someone has already dug the obvious below a water fall or inside bend of the creek. You will want to find an area where the larger rocks collect, that is where the better gold will be.

Back
Top Bottom