• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Good advice for first time turkey hunter....

haymons22

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
108   0
Reaction score
I know it's early but thought I'd go ahead and ask for advice anyway. I'm looking into getting into turkey hunting this upcoming year and just wanted any good advice I could get. Obviously I've never gone before.

One main question that comes to mind would be what type of call is easiest to learn on and will work well and any advice on how to use it.

I have a mossberg 835 in 12ga with an xfull choke (I believe). I was thinking it would work well enough. Would it be better to get another choke? Like an xxfull?

Again...any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--
Rob

get you a friction call with slate top. Slate will be plenty loud enough and provides good range of sounds. And as far as the choke goes, you need to get you some poster board and pattern the gun at 25yrd and 50 yd and anywhere in between to see how the shell shoots. The tighter you get the tighter pattern you have and the better range you get, but you also sacrifice the spread at short range.

Be as still as possible when you're hunting turkey, those rascals can just about see you blink your eyes at 50 yards! A turkey's eyesight is as good or better than a deers sense of smell. And I agree with what blazedawg87 said too.

i thought mouth and box calls were the easiest. Invest in a crow or shock call , def snake boots. It's easier to me with more than one person being new to it.

Be as still as possible when you're hunting turkey, those rascals can just about see you blink your eyes at 50 yards! A turkey's eyesight is as good or better than a deers sense of smell. And I agree with what blazedawg87 said too.

x10 on this ^^^^. Their sense of hearing and eye sight is unbelievible. And them suckers are FAST even in flight. Ya need Very Good Camo.

I hunt a little different than most folks I've seen on TV etc. I'm usually hunting hardwood bottoms. I use nearly the same technique for deer. I find a spot in the woods that's tore up from Turkeys scratching for food. I'll set up at the base of a comfortable tree. BE STILL and shoot em in the neck about half way up.
As far as calls go I have called em in and I have also ambushed em without calling when they come to scratch in a good area I have chosen. I think calling too much is WAY too easy to do. If I call and don't get an answer I'll sit tight for an hour. If I call and get an answer I'll call again and try to bring em in. I would recommend a box call.
I read and heard a lot of different stuff before I found what works for me.
I hope this helps

I liked the box call as far as easiest to be consistent with. It's easy to over-call. Trial and error are about the only way to learn that. For a choke, do like BDawg said and pattern your gun. And use quite a few different type shells. The brand of the shell and the size of the shot makes a HUGE difference in the spread you'll get outta your gun.

Back
Top Bottom