• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Got a new to me Truck.....then a problem

jwinston

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
54   0
Reaction score
I bought a new to me 2008 dodge ram 1500 today. This is my 3rd Dodge truck and I love'em. I like all american made trucks but the dodge is tops to me. I smoke this truck over and drive it and decide that it is in need of a home. I get the deal, my credit union gets me a great rate and all is good. I spend the day doing errands and when I get home I smell something......crap its antifreeze.
I cant find anything but Im smelling it. I get under the truck and see nothing, Under the hood I see what looks to be some dried antifreeze (in dodge its red). I get in close and see it. The freaking water pump is seeping out at the shaft !@#$%& I say. Ok, its a used truck it was a easy miss if you didnt know where to look. I claim that brain fart and start thinking Im just going to sell a pistol to fund the fix. Im not that pissed as crap happens and I still love this truck. The wife says just call the saleman and just see if they can do something, all they could say is tough luck.
I get in touch with them and tell him the problem. To my amazement without a pause he tells me to bring it in next week and they are going to put a new pump on it. He said "Im not selling something and then find its bad even if it was a as is no warranty". Damn it feels good to have someone do the right thing. I mean he could have said it wasnt his problem as no warranty was provided. Thanks Hardy chevrolet in gainesville for doing a customer right.

NOTE: I never spring for add on warranty crap. I have never in all my years of buying cars had a fix that cost more than any problems I had and made up the cost of said warranty.

Last edited:
ya seems I hope so. Seems to be a solid truck, it has been taken care of. It has some miles on it and that never bothers me. I do most of my auto upkeep and minor repairs. Its just seeping at the shaft as the seal is going bad. Its not even dripping and that makes it hard to see. Its just kind of a fine mist and then its dry. The antifreeze smell is barely noticeable and I only smelled it as I walking in front of it, and I had to take pause as I didnt really think it was what it was. I mean when I test drove it I never didnt notice it. It looks like its just a recent problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Leak air? like wind noise?

Don't be surprised if they ask you to pay for the labor to put it on...but even then, it would be a good deal. I've had that happen before...where the dealer would buy the part, but I'd have to pay to put it on. And then I have had some that just take care of it...

Best of luck with the new ride...

No I asked the salesman if they are paying for it and he said yeah. He said he wouldnt let something like that cause bad blood. I mean if fixing this they are still making money off the sale of the truck. Had I seen/noticed it before would have still bought the truck if they fixed it first.

Last edited:
Hell a new water pump was in my future anyway no matter what. My old truck, nissan xterra was 11 years old and I put a new pump on it 3 years ago with a new timing belt. Just 2 months ago the bearing on the shaft of it started to whine after 35k miles.

Back
Top Bottom