• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Got attacked by a dog this morning. What would you have done?

Not run. Turn around, bark back and stand ground aggressively. Unless it's a dog that can kill you. Then do same and shoot it if you have to. Anything else just kick it's a$$ till it gets the point.

I doubt she was big enough to kill me but she definitely could have taken a few chunks out of me. Especially while I was wearing gym shorts. I didn't want to find out where she was going to bite first but she definitely wasn't playing around.

Glad it ended that way but I'd be letting the owner know that is the one and only close call you intend to tolerate. They've already told you the dog bites. They can either keep it restrained as the law requires, you can be a chew toy, or....
To (not) answer your question, do you have to wait to be physically assaulted to defend yourself?

I told the owner that I wasn't looking for any trouble but I have a right to run on a public road and if I get attacked by a violent dog I have the right to defend myself.

What he said. Give dog and owner a record, in case you ever have to defend yourself.

That's what I'm thinking. Especially since he told me that it already bit someone. I don't want them to come write him a ticket or anything because I want to be cool with my neighbors. However if I wind up shooting his dog at 5 a.m. in the future I don't want there to be any question of who was at fault

Something like that happens and of course you're thinking about you. And it sounds like you're capable and you'll be fine. Now it might be time to think about young kids in the neighborhood or some elderly folks, people who might not be as capable. Go back and have a talk with them. Tell them that because the dog has displayed that type of behavior they better make sure it is secured at all times, no excuses, or you'll be happy to be testify and make statements to the law or the court when they're being sued.

If the owner had not called it off when he did he would have had a dead dog to deal with. I don't play that ****.

Yeah he probably would have. I'm really glad that it didn't come to that. However by the time he called her off my LCP was out of the holster and in my hand with my finger on the trigger. As soon as she sank her teeth into me for the first time the whole neighborhood was going to get a rude awakening. I don't think he saw that though. By the time I walked back to talk with him it was secured and concealed again.

About two years ago I was in a similar situation, dirt bag neighbor had to bulldogs that would not stay in the yard, first time they came over I fired a warning shot and they ran off. I told the neighbor if they did it again I would put them down, I love dogs but have two small children that wouldn't stand a chance against an attack. About a month later the dogs attacked as I was bringing up the garbage cans. I put one down as it lunged for me and the second one right after.

I was attacked by a large dog when I was about 7 years old. Grabbed me by the shoulder and shook me like a rag doll. Not something you ever forget. I still have scars on my shoulder some 50+ years later. I'm not generally afraid of dogs unless they act aggressive, in which case I am preparing to put them down with what ever means at hand if necessary. I don't want to kill anyone's pet but I will do what I have to do to protect myself from any threat. Four legged or two.

Back
Top Bottom