• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Great Sleeping Pad for Hiking?

I was bullheaded for years, lugging around a piece of eggcrate. Finally, was caught in a storm and the eggcrate was a sponge and soaked about 30 pounds of water. I bought a Thermarest Scout Large from Academy. It's been great. I've never slept this well in the woods. It takes about 10-15 minutes (a bit longer when really cold) to inflate, then a puff or two to fully firm it up. I think it's 1.5" inflated, but that's been plenty to prevent sore spots while sleeping on my side.

It rolls up to 6"x13" and weighs very little-maybe 1.5 pounds? The nicest part is that the carry bag is oversized so it's easy to unscrew the valve, roll it up and stash it without really having to work at decompressing it.

I was bullheaded for years, lugging around a piece of eggcrate. Finally, was caught in a storm and the eggcrate was a sponge and soaked about 30 pounds of water. I bought a Thermarest Scout Large from Academy. It's been great. I've never slept this well in the woods. It takes about 10-15 minutes (a bit longer when really cold) to inflate, then a puff or two to fully firm it up. I think it's 1.5" inflated, but that's been plenty to prevent sore spots while sleeping on my side.

It rolls up to 6"x13" and weighs very little-maybe 1.5 pounds? The nicest part is that the carry bag is oversized so it's easy to unscrew the valve, roll it up and stash it without really having to work at decompressing it.

Yep, those Therm-A-Rest's are really nice.

If you are in a hammock and think a wind break is what will keep you warm you are sadly mistaken. Nothing personal but someone who carries a hammock AND all of the bags with for the military sleep system does NOT need to be giving information for someone who is trying to go light weight.

A good down under quilt will more than meet your needs. A 3/4 length should do it. Jacks r Better I think is what I have but haven't used it in a while.

As far as pads go it really depends on how much weight you are trying to shave....The self inflating pads are great, for me. I also have a foam therma rest for warmer weather when I am tent camping.

Smokey Mtn Traders up in Cleveland has a hammock set up with a sleeping bag that envelops the hammock. The whole kit is very light. I haven't used it, but I'm intrigued. I'd suppose that it's good for above 40 degrees, not so much for frozen temps.

Smokey Mtn Traders up in Cleveland has a hammock set up with a sleeping bag that envelops the hammock. The whole kit is very light. I haven't used it, but I'm intrigued. I'd suppose that it's good for above 40 degrees, not so much for frozen temps.

It is probably good down to 10. Since the insulation is on the outside of the hammock it isn't being compressed therefore reducing its r value.

Back
Top Bottom