• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gumbo. Why? Because it’s cold and wet outside.

It always is.
But what's up with the dry rice? ??? That should be swimming. :tsk:

Why? I love seafood gumbo, even if it's only shrimp (though, crab, shrimp and crawfish is the stuff). But you reminded me. I was at a Cajun festival in the Texas hill country a few weeks ago. It was centered around a gumbo cooking contest. Three classes. Amateur, professional, and culinary groups. That last one meant high school clubs. The contest is judged by popular vote from the attendees. Being the sucker I am I bought from all the kids. One was so anxious to get my opinion about their creation. They handed me a cup of something that looked vaguely like gumbo, but it had.... shredded carrots in it. WTH?!? :wacko: It tasted as bad as I feared.
I was not honest in my critique. I just couldn't....

"but it had.... shredded carrots in it." 🤮🤮🤮

It always is.
But what's up with the dry rice? ??? That should be swimming. :tsk:

Why? I love seafood gumbo, even if it's only shrimp (though, crab, shrimp and crawfish is the stuff). But you reminded me. I was at a Cajun festival in the Texas hill country a few weeks ago. It was centered around a gumbo cooking contest. Three classes. Amateur, professional, and culinary groups. That last one meant high school clubs. The contest is judged by popular vote from the attendees. Being the sucker I am I bought from all the kids. One was so anxious to get my opinion about their creation. They handed me a cup of something that looked vaguely like gumbo, but it had.... shredded carrots in it. WTH?!? :wacko: It tasted as bad as I feared.
I was not honest in my critique. I just couldn't....
Ok, so then what's the difference between "jambalaya" and a "gumbo?"

Gumbo is served over rice cooked separately. Jambalaya is cooked with rice together. Either Creole or Cajun recipes
Really? I've never heard that distinction. I was always taught that Creole and cajun made jambalaya. But that gumbo was a a Gullah / Geechee thing.

Back
Top Bottom