"Gun Carry Law Backers Ready for New Fight"

mountainpass

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
15   0
Reaction score
http://www.times-georgian.com/news/article_585e526a-6786-11e3-8845-0019bb30f31a.html

State Rep. Dustin Hightower, R-Carrollton, said Tuesday that it’s his understanding that legislation, similar to last year’s original House Bill 512, will likely be pre-filed before the session starts in January.

“My understanding is it will be one bill that will pass,” Henry said. “It’s been pretty well stated that they (legislators) don’t plan to let it die. There will be gun legislation pushed this year.”

Tom Mackel, University of West Georgia police chief, was one of the critics of the proposed legislation.

“We’re pleased the way the law is right now,” Mackel said last January. “College campuses have their own set of problems and putting firearms on them will not make them safer places.”

He said students often don’t have maturity and they’re in situations involving alcohol and drugs that can easily lead to violence.

In January 2006, prior to the shootings, legislator Todd Gilbert had introduced a related bill into the Virginia House of Delegates. The bill, HB 1572, was intended to forbid public universities in Virginia from preventing students from lawfully carrying a concealed handgun on campus. The university opposed the bill, which quickly died in subcommittee. Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker praised the defeat of the bill, stating, "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

It's about "feeling safe", this was the argument that failed to prevent most states from adopting some form of concealed carry (40 shall carry). The carry permit holders have less 1% revocation rate and have been model citizens with crime rates within the group much lower than that of the rest of society. But let's ignore that and keep "feeling safe".

The Virginia Tech massacre was a school shooting that took place on April 16, 2007, on the campus of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Blacksburg, Virginia, United States. Seung-Hui Cho, a senior at Virginia Tech, shot and killed 32 people and wounded 17 others in two separate attacks, approximately two hours apart, before committing suicide (another six people were injured escaping from classroom windows). The massacre is the deadliest shooting incident by a single gunman in U.S. history.

No better tool of the gun prohibitionist exist than that of the so called "gun free" zones that really aren't. They are a high priority target and will be jealously guarded as to lose them is to admit to the lie "more guns=more crime" nonsense that has been preached.

Repeat a lie often enough and the people will believe it....

One of my sons sent me a text this morning and said the "fee" (tax) for a GWL is now $85 including fingerprinting in Coweta County! In 2010 when I had to re-apply (no more renewing) I called 3 days before I was going to go and they said it would be $55 cash only and when I got there it had gone up to $70! They could have told me the price was going up because I told them it would be 3 days before I came, but I guess that would have been too much like doing the right thing. This crap has gotten out of control!

One of my sons sent me a text this morning and said the "fee" (tax) for a GWL is now $85 including fingerprinting in Coweta County! In 2010 when I had to re-apply (no more renewing) I called 3 days before I was going to go and they said it would be $55 cash only and when I got there it had gone up to $70! They could have told me the price was going up because I told them it would be 3 days before I came, but I guess that would have been too much like doing the right thing. This crap has gotten out of control!

If HB512 passes it will remove fingerprinting on renewal, which will lower the price, but I think 1 cent is to much to pay to exercise a right. I mean just watch what would happen if they charged a poll tax. But like givejunkfree stated they had 200 years to control us, now we are chipping away.

I like how they use the word "students" to make people think the bill is arming 12 year olds.

Also once the articles start watch how(the part to allow 18-20 to carry if HD from military) the 18 year olds will be called teens, but crimes reported in the same day committed by 18 year olds will list them as men.

Back
Top Bottom