• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun Season Opener Pictures

Thanks guys. I am pretty proud of it, though it really was shear luck. But a good story to tell my kid: "On opening day, if you can't get a 10 pointer like your dad, well .... :) "

Turning out to be the worst opener ever!!! Saw a few small bauck and does. Shot a doe this morning and couldnt find her which I really hate. Went home and got my black lad on a 10 ft leash and put him on the trail. He was off like a bullet dragging me about 400 yards through some very rough stuff. I kept seeing blood so he was on her trail. I was wiped! Its hard to hold him back when he knows theres a deer in it for him. We got in some really nasty stuff and I got tangled in some thorny vines the size of your thumb. While I was trying to get loose my dog snatch the leash out of my hand. The leash is on a choke chain around his neck.He vanished!! My son saw him about ten minutes later chasing a doe...the one I shot i guess and thats the last Ive seen of him. We live next to the property I hunt, not worried about him finding his way home, he roams these woods. Im scared sick that leash will get tangled and he will be stuck there to starve or choke himself to death. We live in the country and there are miles of land he could be on...depending on where the doe ran.I have no way to find him. I can only hope he caught her and is laying up eating on her somewhere and will make it home. Im going out later and just wander around and hope. Just damn. We wandered and called him..even went and got the 4 wheeler and drove all over the place. He loves to chase that 4 wheeler but dont think he would leave a down deer to come to it,if he ever caught her, and he wont give up the chase. Worse opening weekend ever!!!

img.tapatalk.com_d_13_10_21_sasyqyse.jpg

Shot this doe about 6:00pm opening day. 62 grain hollow point out of my AR from about 20 yards away. She dropped right there, didn't run at all. No exit wound, but man her insides were just tore to mush.

We put two new young hunters in front of deer. One took a shot at an 8pt. One took a small doe. I almost got bitten by a timber rattler...he was tasty! Great great opening weekend on all counts!

I was in the tree all day. Even ate lunch there. As the sun went down a young buck came to the right of me. I'm right handed and was using a thumb hole 308 bolt action. If you can picture that akward shot in your head, you could see why I missed. The worse thing is he ran even more to the right. I shot again and missed agian. Not a good opener. I never missed a shot in my life and now two on one deer. I'm calling him lucky and just because of this, if I see it again I'm letting him walk. Lol I had fun but this is my first year not getting a deer on opening day. So the streak ends. Lol next weekend is makeup. Be safe guys.

Congrats guys. I didn't even see a single deer today but I still had fun. Haven't been hunting in two years so it was just good to get back out into the woods.

Back
Top Bottom