• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun show loop hole is going bye bye

BAM! There's some very true words. Who still goes to gun shows anyway? I think the last one I went to was here in Perry back in 96 or 97. In fact it was SO long ago that I bought a Type 53 carbine right out of the crate full for $69.00.

Barrow Automotive is a huge dealer in the caution light town of Butler,GA. But people come from all over the state to go there. They used to go big at all the gun shows in GA . In fact they used to have the long line of tables facing the opposite direction as all the aisles of other tables. But somewhere in the mid 90s they stopped doing gun shows. One of the guys at Barrow's told me that they got a belly full of packing all up setting it all up then packing it up again only to get low balled by cheapskates. And basically they never had to do gun shows. They have state wide business coming to them.

Only reason I see to go to gun shows now is if you're looking for something rare . Cause there ain't any deals to be had.
Kinda like a forum I was on,no deals and higher than MSRP

BAM! There's some very true words. Who still goes to gun shows anyway? I think the last one I went to was here in Perry back in 96 or 97. In fact it was SO long ago that I bought a Type 53 carbine right out of the crate full for $69.00.

Barrow Automotive is a huge dealer in the caution light town of Butler,GA. But people come from all over the state to go there. They used to go big at all the gun shows in GA . In fact they used to have the long line of tables facing the opposite direction as all the aisles of other tables. But somewhere in the mid 90s they stopped doing gun shows. One of the guys at Barrow's told me that they got a belly full of packing all up setting it all up then packing it up again only to get low balled by cheapskates. And basically they never had to do gun shows. They have state wide business coming to them.

Only reason I see to go to gun shows now is if you're looking for something rare . Cause there ain't any deals to be had.
Barrow Automotive is awesome. It reminds me of the vcr rental places that had a curtain I wasn’t allowed behind.

I guarantee there aren't any deals to be had for those that don't go. But I've gotten a few deals at shows.

Worst case scenario, I just get to look at a bunch of guns. Best case scenario I buy a Spas-12 for $500 or a Gen 1 Glock for $450, with box.

Great job Joe, now FFLs have to do background checks at gunshows. :wacko:
Its not just gun shows

Its not just gun shows
1712872200335.png

Lot of those dealers went to buy more so than sell.i know Harvey had the front tables for years and told me personally that he would spend 3 times the amount he sold.

This is actual law passed by Congress two years ago. It changes the law's own definition of "engaged in the business" to be somewhat broader, but it still is all about making a profit in a way that is more of a motivation than just to improve your collection, or liquidate a collection (i.e. you're getting out of the gun collecting hobby.)

ATF's rules may be too broad and stray too far from even this new 2002 era statutory text the Congress laid out.

We'll have to wait and see who they arrest and prosecute for the first few violations.

If there's a sympathetic defendant, the NRA or GOA or the SAF may take up the case with a lawsuit and /or defense to the charges.

55F7FBB2-32E9-4AA9-BE75-3FAB847C0423.jpeg

Attachments

• B318DB72-66F3-4D0B-BBCC-3BC256438C9D.jpeg
    B318DB72-66F3-4D0B-BBCC-3BC256438C9D.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 5
As for me, the next time I see Academy Sports having a 50% off sale on some make and model of guns that they're discontinuing,

I will refrain from buying all 11 examples they have in inventory and putting them up here on ODT the next day, "brand new in box" at full retail price.

Back
Top Bottom