• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Had a good day at the range yesterday.

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
Got a good zero on my new 458 Socom.

Finally found an accurate enough load for the 300 RUM. 0.61 to 0.65 MOA using 210 grain Nosler Accubond Long Range.

Figured out how to use and zeroed my new ATN X Sight II Day Night Scope on the 300BK for both my supersonic load and my subsonic load. These are really interesting optics that have some incredible capabilities. Just one of the features is the ability to store the data for multiple loads. Each with their own zero and ranging capability. Simply select which load you are shooting and the zero will automatically change to the saved zero for that round. As you use the ranging capability the sight automatically changes the recital position to compensate for drop for that particular load. Pretty cool and that's not even mentioning that it has WiFi connectivity to other devices, GPS, internal video and audio recording along with a bunch of other stuff I'm still learning. Oh yeah, it's a good quality digital night vision scope with 3-14 zoom. It's a hell of a package for less than $500.

As if I couldn't figure out how to use a scope before.

Holy Schnikes!

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/atn-x...MIt4OmqpHr2gIVUCSBCh0NWQy_EAQYAiABEgLhWvD_BwE

Dang scope even has a microphone!
Apparently ATN puts out updates on the software regularly. I found a YouTube video that says the latest update increases max magnification to 35x, but I don't think it's practical. You are actually looking at a video screen, not a lens, when looking through the scope and just like any other video, the greater the magnification, the more pixelation there is. This is not a super clear optic like a fine quality glass lens scope, but that's not what it's designed for. With that said, I had no problem shooting 1.5 MOA groups at 100 yards with a pistol length AR.

This is a pretty good review and demo of the scope. A couple of things I will add is that there is a solution to the short battery life he talks about without having to go to an external battery. There is a particular brand of rechargeable AA batteries that folks are getting around 8 hours of continuous use from. I have them and had the scope on for about 6 hours at the range with no problem. Also, if you upgrade the IR illumination you can get much longer battery life with it, too, while at the same time increasing the effectiveness of the scope. I have seen a demo where they were able to spot eye shine at over 800 yards, would be able to make a shot at around 500 yards and would be able to clearly identify details of the animal at around 350 to 400 yards. It has something to do with matching the IR frequency to the scope that makes this possible.

The batteries are Kentli (Amazon) and the IR is Coyote Reaper.

Back
Top Bottom