• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Handgun Training for Minors

image.jpg
Well do you guys here at ODT see the law as a problem, or is it more of "I don't give a ****?
Laws don't get changed without popular support from the common citizens.

Why should it be legal for a parent to let a kid shoot a .22 rifle on his grandfather's best friend's property, but if a .22 revolver is used in that same range session, everybody involved can go to jail for a year?

View attachment 698412 Well do you guys here at ODT see the law as a problem, or is it more of "I don't give a ****?
Laws don't get changed without popular support from the common citizens.

Why should it be legal for a parent to let a kid shoot a .22 rifle on his grandfather's best friend's property, but if a .22 revolver is used in that same range session, everybody involved can go to jail for a year?
I get your point about the issue of the law as it currently exists. Can you come up with one example where this has been used to prosecute anyone? So to answer your question, it's a problem in the sense it exists but is not a problem in the sense that it effects anyone. Is that an excuse to not have it rectified? Of course not. But we have actual SERIOUS 2A issues in this state, like the disgusting GWL requirement. There's only so much powder. I guess we all have to decide what it should be expended on.
Having said that, this would 'appear' to be an easy fix if you can get any motivated legislator's ear.

Bump. I'd love to get more input, more comments. Have y'all ever thought about this issue? Ever heard about these laws before? Have you ever read them and looked to see how it may be possible to take a kid handgun shooting?

Consider this video.
6 year old shooting a .22 Browning Buck Mark at some spot in the woods along a dirt road.
It's not an established shooting range.
Now suppose that this land is not owned by the kid's parents or grandparents.
Imagine it's just national forest land. Or owned by Dad's good friend. Or owned by Dad's brother or uncle.
That would make it a crime in Georgia, for Dad to let his son shoot this pistol, no matter how closely supervised it was.

Consider this video.
6 year old shooting a .22 Browning Buck Mark at some spot in the woods along a dirt road.
It's not an established shooting range.
Now suppose that this land is not owned by the kid's parents or grandparents.
Imagine it's just national forest land. Or owned by Dad's good friend. Or owned by Dad's brother or uncle.
That would make it a crime in Georgia, for Dad to let his son shoot this pistol, no matter how closely supervised it was.

True or not it is bovine excrement. I do not know any officers that would enforce it. Just one jack ass and a jerk DA could mess you up.

Back
Top Bottom