• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

User170512

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Occasionally Banned, but OK
49   0
Reaction score
Been in Blackout for years and have semis chambered in it and a 30 cal can. What's a good little bolt action with a threaded barrel? Looked at a CZ and Ruger yesterday, but always kinda liked the Model 7. School me on baby bolts.

No experience on the CZ... but I've own/owned several.

The Model 7 is awesome choice, Just know that some of the early 300blks had issues with feeding. I had one and wish I'd never sold it, it was flawless.

Ruger American Ranch is a good choice. There's 2 different styles - 1 takes a proprietary Ruger flush-fit box mag and 1 takes STANAG AR mags. I've owned both and still own the AR mag variant. No issues with either. The mag release is in a different location on each, and honestly the location on the AR mag version sucks. I kept it as I already have a bunch of 10 and 20 rd mags and didnt want to invest in Ruger's mags.

Skip the Savage Axis. Mine wouldnt feed from several different mags and after a trip back to Savage with it still having the problem, i got rid of it. Its Savage's bare-budget line and are well-known for lack of quality.

Its not a bolt-action, but I've got one of the AAC Handi-rifles and its one of my favorite to shoot. They tend to be pretty expensive for what they are (around $400-450).

No experience with them but Mossberg makes the MVP in 300blk and there's several high-end boutique options too, depending on what you're wanting to do and spend.

No experience on the CZ... but I've own/owned several.

The Model 7 is awesome choice, Just know that some of the early 300blks had issues with feeding. I had one and wish I'd never sold it, it was flawless.

Ruger American Ranch is a good choice. There's 2 different styles - 1 takes a proprietary Ruger flush-fit box mag and 1 takes STANAG AR mags. I've owned both and still own the AR mag variant. No issues with either. The mag release is in a different location of each of the, and honestly the location on the AR mag version sucks. I kept it as I already have a bunch of 10 and 20 rd mags and didnt want to invest in Ruger's mags.

Skip the Savage Axis. Mine wouldnt feed from several different mags and after a trip back to Savage with it still having the problem, i got rid of it. Its Savage's bare-budget line and are well-known for lack of quality.

Its not a bolt-action, but I've got one of the AAC Handi-rifles and its one of my favorite to shoot. They tend to be pretty expensive for what they are (around $400-450).

No experience with them but Mossberg makes the MVP in 300blk and there's several high-end boutique options too, depending on what you're wanting to do and spend.
Actually like the idea of the AAC a lot. Would probably also prefer the AR mag variant given what I already have. May just try to pick up a Model 7 after the election if things cool off. Who knows.

CZ 527
Howa's
Ruger American

Get the Ruger if being a beat around gun is your thing.
Action and accuracy smooth out good after a bit of shooting.

CZ is top notch both in craftsmanship and accuracy but my Ruger is right on its tail performance wise.

The ruger American is a great budget option. Mine was super accurate. Wasn’t afraid to tote it around in the woods or throw it in the floorboard of the truck

Have the Ruger American in a Boyd's stock with a Viper PST Gen2 on it. It's a great shooter for the cartridge. Very quiet with a Sandman on it. Mine is the flush Ruger mag version and I heard some folks have issues with the mags but I have not as long as I don't try to over stuff the mag. Have been thinking of letting it go as I haven't been using it much as I got into some other calibers more but I need to shoot it.

Model Seven is awesome as long as it likes the ammo you choose. Had some weird results with mine until I found the one it likes (Hornady 190gr. Sub-X), but it absolutely loves that load.

300blk.jpg

subsonic target.jpg

100 yards.

Back
Top Bottom