• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bolt 22LR Poll (What do I buy)

And old man fudds. Got yelled at by a few old guys for rapid fire. I was shooting a bolt action 22.

Have you shot their sunday PRS matches? Good dudes at those comps. My bro shoots them every month. I shot at 2. I went with my brother on a Friday at the 100 yard range and he was acting overly cautious there, but as soon as its a comp, normal peeps show up.

Have you shot their sunday PRS matches? Good dudes at those comps. My bro shoots them every month. I shot at 2. I went with my brother on a Friday at the 100 yard range and he was acting overly cautious there, but as soon as its a comp, normal peeps show up.
I have not. Turned off by their members

Or better yet, start with a quality, factory built rifle.
I paid 237.00 for my Mark ll 22 mag and it shoots clover leafs at 75 yards. That's the longest I've shot it. What I mean by upgrades is replacing the plastic trigger guard off and replacing it with a metal one. Bedding the action and small inexpensive stuff. I have never shot another 22 mag that even shoots close. It came with a wooden stock and a bull barrel and the trigger is a little over 3.5 lbs. Mark ll's are known for their exceptional accuracy. I can't see any reason in spending another five to six hundred on top of 237 to maybe ( and that's big maybe ) get a rifle that'll hang with it. And I've got a 22 magnum, I'm sure the 22 long rifle is even more accurate than that. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this little rifle at all. I refuse to spend big money on a rimfire rifle when one can get accuracy like I've got. I bought a circa 1970s redfield scope 2-7 variable power off eBay for 100 bucks and it a great little combo. It will do everything and more than I need to and will last forever. What's even better is it shoots every ammo I have ran through it just as accurate than the ammo I tried before. The second pick is a four shot Group after I've zeroed the scope the scope in.

IMG_20230216_173318388.jpg

IMG_20230411_193235000.jpg

I paid 237.00 for my Mark ll 22 mag and it shoots clover leafs at 75 yards. That's the longest I've shot it. What I mean by upgrades is replacing the plastic trigger guard off and replacing it with a metal one. Bedding the action and small inexpensive stuff. I have never shot another 22 mag that even shoots close. It came with a wooden stock and a bull barrel and the trigger is a little over 3.5 lbs. Mark ll's are known for their exceptional accuracy. I can't see any reason in spending another five to six hundred on top of 237 to maybe ( and that's big maybe ) get a rifle that'll hang with it. And I've got a 22 magnum, I'm sure the 22 long rifle is even more accurate than that. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this little rifle at all. I refuse to spend big money on a rimfire rifle when one can get accuracy like I've got. I bought a circa 1970s redfield scope 2-7 variable power off eBay for 100 bucks and it a great little combo. It will do everything and more than I need to and will last forever. What's even better is it shoots every ammo I have ran through it just as accurate than the ammo I tried before.

View attachment 7113083
I'm not saying they aren't good rifles, they just aren't the best choice for what the OP is looking for.

I paid 237.00 for my Mark ll 22 mag and it shoots clover leafs at 75 yards. That's the longest I've shot it. What I mean by upgrades is replacing the plastic trigger guard off and replacing it with a metal one. Bedding the action and small inexpensive stuff. I have never shot another 22 mag that even shoots close. It came with a wooden stock and a bull barrel and the trigger is a little over 3.5 lbs. Mark ll's are known for their exceptional accuracy. I can't see any reason in spending another five to six hundred on top of 237 to maybe ( and that's big maybe ) get a rifle that'll hang with it. And I've got a 22 magnum, I'm sure the 22 long rifle is even more accurate than that. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this little rifle at all. I refuse to spend big money on a rimfire rifle when one can get accuracy like I've got. I bought a circa 1970s redfield scope 2-7 variable power off eBay for 100 bucks and it a great little combo. It will do everything and more than I need to and will last forever. What's even better is it shoots every ammo I have ran through it just as accurate than the ammo I tried before. The second pick is a four shot Group after I've zeroed the scope the scope in.

View attachment 7113083
View attachment 7113148
Great looking rifle, and a fine shooter I bet. But its not in the gun of the month club and has no bragging rights for an elitist.

Great looking rifle, and a fine shooter I bet. But its not in the gun of the month club and has no bragging rights for an elitist.
Bragging rights from come consistency, and there's no way you're getting consistency in production from budget rifles, you just aren't. First shot to last string consistency and bet the farm repeatability in performance. Upper tier firearms cost more because they provide value to people that are more demanding of performance. If they didn't, they wouldn't exist. That doesn't mean there aren't some inexpensive options that can shoot very well, but on average, and under a wide variety of circumstances, higher end guns will perform better. If valuing that type of performance makes someone an "elitist", oh well.

Back
Top Bottom