• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Happy Father's Day to my Dad

fistfullaholla

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
38   0
Reaction score
I can't be with my Dad this Father's day so I wanted to do something special. I ended up getting this great old SxS and although I love it, it is something my Dad would REALLY love.
Growing up my Dad wasn't much into guns but never discouraged me from pursuing shooting. He was drafted in '68, did his stint in the Army and got out to come home to work as a Coal Miner and start a family. When I wanted him to go shoot with me, or try to get him to look at some guns he would gently decline saying he'd shot enough guns in his life. It took me some life experience to understand that side of him.
My first gun was a Ruger 10/22 when I was 12, which I bought with my own money, but with Dad's blessing. He shot it with me many times, but mostly I'd be off to the woods with my 22 to camp or just hike.
Lately there have been some problems with crime in my small hometown and Dad called to tell me he wants a gun. He knows it's been a while since he qualified expert on his M-14, so he asked if I knew any good deals on a shotgun- something easy to use he said.
Well, Tomorrow I send him what he asked for, although he has no idea that it is coming. I took that old Crescent Arms Double Barrel and my son, Kalashnikov Blastov, polished it up. Now this is an OLD piece and most of the original finish was faded and worn. Blastov did a fine job making it shine and giving it a look all its own.
We then took it to The Brass House here in Columbus (pm me for info) and had it Engraved by hand. I think they did a Beautiful Job and created a unique heirloom out of an old beater shotgun!

Not a safe queen at all, this gun is just like my Dad. A little rough, some nicks and cracks showing some long healed wounds, but it is still ready for action and deadly!
Happy Father's Day to my Dad and all the Dad's here on ODT!

sxs1.JPG

sxs6.JPG

Right Side says: Daddy Rick - my son called him that as soon as he could talk and it stuck!

sxs7.JPG

Dad's Monogram R.J.E.

sxs2.JPG

Last edited:
I really wish I had more time with this one, but Im glad it still has some of the original patina in tact. Hate to see it go, for sure, but there is no person on Earth that deserves, and will hopefully appreciate, this weapon more than Daddy Rick. Now, how in the hell am I supposed to top this, or your birthday present, for a father's day gift???? You leave me no choice, I guess ill have to trade in the Impala for a Barrett....

No need to sell cars off... or anything else. There is no way you could top my B-day gift so let's just start this all back to zero and begin again with those cute little hand written cards you used to give me when you were a kid!
Thanks for all the help with this one Ricky, wish we could be there to hand this to Daddy Rick

Back
Top Bottom