• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

hard resizing 308

bassist2416

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
21   0
Reaction score
I am reloading Hornady 308 brass with Redding Dies and and I am having a hard time getting the case out when the neck is being drawn over the expander ball. I have the carbide ball and the regular expander and they are both hard. I have the stem set so that 3/16" of the decapping rod is sticking out and can tell there when the neck is released from the die and when it contacts the expander. It is so hard to pull through that i actually have to brace myself and my bench so stuff doesnt fall off of my bench.

Any ideas what I need to check? Tonight I am going measure the expanders and the before and after of a neck without the expander and see what is going on there.

Adjust so the expander ball is lower in the die. You are probably pinching the brass between the ball and the neck of the die.
That could be I've never used Redding dies myself. Good observation.

Are you using any type of powdered mica as lube in the case necks?

Lube really helps, but it should work OK with just the carbide ball. I got a die out of adjustment once, and it did exactly what you are experiencing.

Different brands of brass tend to vary somewhat in thickness. If you are right on the edge as to adjustment, a thicker case will cause problems.

I’m having this same issue right now using RCBS dies. Never had it happen before, over 1k 308 reloads, it just started. I have to mess with the adjustment, but post your findings.

That could be I've never used Redding dies myself. Good observation.

Are you using any type of powdered mica as lube in the case necks?
I have never used neck lube on anything so I dont think I should have to on these, especially with the carbide expander ball. This is the only round I have ever had this problem out of.

Lube really helps, but it should work OK with just the carbide ball. I got a die out of adjustment once, and it did exactly what you are experiencing.

Different brands of brass tend to vary somewhat in thickness. If you are right on the edge as to adjustment, a thicker case will cause problems.

I lube the body but not the inside of the neck and like you said shouldn't have to with the carbide. This is only round i have had this problem with.

I am only bumping the shoulder back 0.002" and that is really consistent across all of them. if it turns out to be the neck thickness then there will be a boat load of hornady 308 brass for sale.

Back
Top Bottom