• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

hard resizing 308

Never fired brass always seemed a little stiffer then once or triple fired for me.

Check your measurements several times on the equipment and lube the necks up just a tad.

I didnt have this problem when the brass was new and resized only after the first firing. When new it just went right through the die with no problems.

I’m having this same issue right now using RCBS dies. Never had it happen before, over 1k 308 reloads, it just started. I have to mess with the adjustment, but post your findings.

Hopefully tonight I will be able to switch everything back over to to the 308 setup since I have just finished decapping a bajillion blackouts. I will take bunch of measurements and let everyone know. Unfortunately, i have already loaded all of the problem brass but do have have bunch of other hornady, starline and lapua brass i can check and see what happens. I will keep you posted.

I think I have figured out the issue. After running hornady and starline once fired brass through the culprit is the neck thickness. I found that i have aome brass with necks that are over 0.015" thick and thoe are the ones giving me prroblems, all hornady by the way. The starline was really consistent at 0.014" and went through like butter.

I second Handloader's comment.
I use Hornady lube in the little tub. I stick the neck into the tub, very little, maybe 1/8 inch or so. Wipe off the outside of the neck, too much and you will dent your shoulders. Just leaving a tad of sizing lube on the inside of the neck.
I only do this when it starts getting hard to lower the case and pull the expander through the neck. Typically once every 10-15 rounds.
Besides neck thickness causing issues, another that can make a difference is how the necks are annealed (or not).

I was doing some research on this today and found that happens with 308 because of manufacturer tolerances on brass and the die companies accommodating the the thinnest neck. that would seem to confirm my findings of the slightly thinner necked Starline brass resizing without any problems and the thicker Hornady giving me problems.

I am going to see if the local hardware store has some graphite to dip the necks in and see if that works. If it doesnt work i might have to go with a different brass and sale this stuff. I am not really wanting to add another step of neck turning so I can resize my brass easily; I will just buy a bunch Starline and go from there, that's what I'm doing for my 6mm Creedmoor.

I bought a Redding sizing die because I thought that it would be better than what I was currently using. Using a Sinclair dial indicator, RCBS dies gave better consultancy in neck run out, and I have never needed a small base die using RCBS on production guns. The same is true on 30-06 gas guns, as well as .556 gas guns. I have used almost any kind of brass from Nosler, to Prvi, to milsurps. A little wax on the neck and it is easy on the upstroke.

Back
Top Bottom