• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Have you ever backed out of a sale after meeting with a buyer?

forgot about this one....guy here advertised a Remington 721 chambered for 300 H&H....I went nuts!!! been looking for one a long time!!!....said "I'll take it" he said "sold"....we decided to meet at the Mall of Georgia...he's coming from Commerce, me, from Roswell....get there...put the gun in my hands....turn it to look at the stamping....300 H&H CLEARLY marked out....stamped "rechambered 300 Win Mag"....I looked at him....said this is not a 300 H&H....he said "it isn't"....I said "can you read the stamp"...he says "oh...I wasn't sure what that meant....I can knock $100 off".....I just handed him the gun, and got back in my car, and drove home....disappointing!!!
What an idiot.

Every meet I’ve ever had has been great, no sketchy folks, no misrepresentations, no last minute negotiations both as a buyer and seller. I did however have a few back out last minute via text prior to the meet…that’s pretty annoying.

I also had a phone conversation with a guy who got irritated with me because I was at work and kept getting interrupted which set him off in a tirade. I told him I was at work and it may happen prior to the call. After he cussed me out and called me every name in the book, he calmed down and said he’d really like the gun and what’s my best price. So I told him I was no longer interested in dealing with him and that I’d smash it with a hammer and toss it in the creek before I sold it to him after being cussed out like that.

So he started calling me back and harassing me. I googled his phone number and after looking through his home listed for sale on MLS and various items he and his wife listed on Craigslist, I suddenly had his home address, his wife’s name, his kid’s names and the cars they drove. That kind of information can be disconcerting when the guy you’ve been harassing suddenly interrupts you and says, “Hey Joe Smith of 123 Main Street in Marietta! Let me ask you, do you love your wife Kathy and your kids Billy and Becky? I never made a threat, just asked a question and allowed him to infer what he thought I meant. No more phone calls from that jackass!
I’m glad you did that to that d-head! What would make them think that you still wanted to deal with his dumb ahh after cussing you out ?

No but should have…trade ended up NOT being as described but I took it anyway. Ended up the trader was a pain in my ass for the next few months after that. Not sure why someone would not REMEMBER that their trade frame looked like it had been attacked by a 5 yr old with a soldering iron :doh:

the guy also since moved out of state, changed his ODT name and still sells as a Ga resident.
What’s his name so we can all block him?

I consider myself a rookie on this site, but being here almost four years to the date, everyone that I have met and done deals with, have been superb.

One time selling a posted and complete whole kit with mags, holsters, etc. and the ad said - "what you see is what you get". When we met, he wanted the factory lower, which I could not find, He backed out of the deal, BUT HE GAVE ME a really nice knife and boxed ammo for my trouble. He did not have to do that.

Again awesome people on this site, and if something looks and feels suspicious, then guess what, it is....

I haven't, and most of my interactions have been really solid. only once have I gotten something that upon taking it home, one of the small parts wasn't as described. not a big enough deal to fight about it, but I always try and factor in "how much will the cost me to un-mess it up" when I look at stuff.

I have gotten frustrated with some general shenanigans, so much so that I won't drive more than 10 minutes out of my way to sell something. I'd go all over to buy, but not wasting my day to be stood up over a $20 part or something silly. Same if I get someone with more than 1% negatives I just don't even bother. This site's feedback system is mostly solid and well done, which helps ID the jackwagons.

I also don't need to meet up with anyone shady. If you're new/low feedback I'll happily meet with you in broad daylight at the police station. Certainly not 9pm off the highway behind a QT.

Yep! I ask for him to measure the one piece scope mount rings from outer to outer and inner to inner length because the scope I had was restricted on mounting area. We meant and I measured it and it was wrong. So I had to back out. He ended up giving me a neg months and months later. I PM'd him and reminded him of how the meet went down and he had the neg reversed. Simple breakdown in communication. All is good now and nobody got angry or any of that nonsense. Sometimes stuff just gets discombobulated in the excitement of the trade and things don't work out. We are all men here so it shouldn't be that big of a deal unless one party is a complete pecker head. How many times have you called on a used car and the person says oh it looks like new arts in excellent condition. When you get there it's a total piece of crap. People see things different ways. It's just life!

Back
Top Bottom