• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Have you ever backed out of a sale after meeting with a buyer?

Every meet I’ve ever had has been great, no sketchy folks, no misrepresentations, no last minute negotiations both as a buyer and seller. I did however have a few back out last minute via text prior to the meet…that’s pretty annoying.

I also had a phone conversation with a guy who got irritated with me because I was at work and kept getting interrupted which set him off in a tirade. I told him I was at work and it may happen prior to the call. After he cussed me out and called me every name in the book, he calmed down and said he’d really like the gun and what’s my best price. So I told him I was no longer interested in dealing with him and that I’d smash it with a hammer and toss it in the creek before I sold it to him after being cussed out like that.

So he started calling me back and harassing me. I googled his phone number and after looking through his home listed for sale on MLS and various items he and his wife listed on Craigslist, I suddenly had his home address, his wife’s name, his kid’s names and the cars they drove. That kind of information can be disconcerting when the guy you’ve been harassing suddenly interrupts you and says, “Hey Joe Smith of 123 Main Street in Marietta! Let me ask you, do you love your wife Kathy and your kids Billy and Becky? I never made a threat, just asked a question and allowed him to infer what he thought I meant. No more phone calls from that jackass!

Every meet I’ve ever had has been great, no sketchy folks, no misrepresentations, no last minute negotiations both as a buyer and seller. I did however have a few back out last minute via text prior to the meet…that’s pretty annoying.

I also had a phone conversation with a guy who got irritated with me because I was at work and kept getting interrupted which set him off in a tirade. I told him I was at work and it may happen prior to the call. After he cussed me out and called me every name in the book, he calmed down and said he’d really like the gun and what’s my best price. So I told him I was no longer interested in dealing with him and that I’d smash it with a hammer and toss it in the creek before I sold it to him after being cussed out like that.

So he started calling me back and harassing me. I googled his phone number and after looking through his home listed for sale on MLS and various items he and his wife listed on Craigslist, I suddenly had his home address, his wife’s name, his kid’s names and the cars they drove. That kind of information can be disconcerting when the guy you’ve been harassing suddenly interrupts you and says, “Hey Joe Smith of 123 Main Street in Marietta! Let me ask you, do you love your wife Kathy and your kids Billy and Becky? I never made a threat, just asked a question and allowed him to infer what he thought I meant. No more phone calls from that jackass!
Note to self….
Don’t aggravate people on the web and let them have your phone number…

I’ve decided not to buy an item after I met the seller and inspected it…..twice. Both times the items were junk and didn’t match the ad description and also the sellers had lied about their condition during our phone conversation.

I refused to sell an item at a meet once. Buyer brought partial payment and asked me to give him a few days to come up with the rest of it…..but go ahead and give him the item

No but should have…trade ended up NOT being as described but I took it anyway. Ended up the trader was a pain in my ass for the next few months after that. Not sure why someone would not REMEMBER that their trade frame looked like it had been attacked by a 5 yr old with a soldering iron :doh:

the guy also since moved out of state, changed his ODT name and still sells as a Ga resident.

I should have one time but I wrote "I'll take it" so I followed through on the purchase. Colt .38 sp revolver that the finish turned out to be black paint instead of factory finish. Seller did not disclose in the ad and it appeared to be the factory finish in the pictures so I did not ask. Drove to Douglasville from Sandy Springs to get it. Besides being out the time and gas $ I ended up selling it (with full disclosure) for a loss because I wanted an original one.

No, but I had a jerk make a few low ball offers on a rifle once. He finally agreed to take it, but when we met up, he decided that he didn't want it. It was obvious he wanted me to lower the price. I threw the rifle back in the truck and blocked the jerk. I sold it two days later for my asking price.

Once. I usually specify that I prefer to deal with someone with a GWL. Thats not really a hard rule but it does hopefully weed out some undesirables.
The guy told me he had his and I drove halfway to meet with him but when he got there he confessed that he didn't have one.
I took my toys and went home. If he had been honest up front we probably could have worked it out but if he'd lie about something like that then he isn't someone I'm comfortable dealing with.

I agreed to a trade with notable member. I liked his and he liked my pistol. He said that if you ever have any problems, I'd trade back.

I took my trade to the range and had a lot of jams, with different ammo. I contacted the trader, explained what happened and he agreed to meet me at a close to both of us range to check it out. When he shot it, same issues, and he was true to his word, traded it back.

I liked that gun and really respect the trader, but too bad it did not work out. Very cool guy and hope to do business with him again.

Back
Top Bottom