• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Have you ever backed out of a sale after meeting with a buyer?

Only once, had an fnx 45 tactical up for trade and got a message from a guy saying he would trade a NIB beretta m9a3 for it. The gun was on my radar and had just come out so I agreed. We get to the meeting and he pulls the pistol out of the case and it looked like someone had thrown it across a parking lot. I said "ain't no way". He got butt hurt and I left.

Every meet I’ve ever had has been great, no sketchy folks, no misrepresentations, no last minute negotiations both as a buyer and seller. I did however have a few back out last minute via text prior to the meet…that’s pretty annoying.

I also had a phone conversation with a guy who got irritated with me because I was at work and kept getting interrupted which set him off in a tirade. I told him I was at work and it may happen prior to the call. After he cussed me out and called me every name in the book, he calmed down and said he’d really like the gun and what’s my best price. So I told him I was no longer interested in dealing with him and that I’d smash it with a hammer and toss it in the creek before I sold it to him after being cussed out like that.

So he started calling me back and harassing me. I googled his phone number and after looking through his home listed for sale on MLS and various items he and his wife listed on Craigslist, I suddenly had his home address, his wife’s name, his kid’s names and the cars they drove. That kind of information can be disconcerting when the guy you’ve been harassing suddenly interrupts you and says, “Hey Joe Smith of 123 Main Street in Marietta! Let me ask you, do you love your wife Kathy and your kids Billy and Becky? I never made a threat, just asked a question and allowed him to infer what he thought I meant. No more phone calls from that jackass!
Seems to me you could've just blocked him......

I’ve decided not to buy an item after I met the seller and inspected it…..twice. Both times the items were junk and didn’t match the ad description and also the sellers had lied about their condition during our phone conversation.

I refused to sell an item at a meet once. Buyer brought partial payment and asked me to give him a few days to come up with the rest of it…..but go ahead and give him the item
WOW, NOPE

I should have one time but I wrote "I'll take it" so I followed through on the purchase. Colt .38 sp revolver that the finish turned out to be black paint instead of factory finish. Seller did not disclose in the ad and it appeared to be the factory finish in the pictures so I did not ask. Drove to Douglasville from Sandy Springs to get it. Besides being out the time and gas $ I ended up selling it (with full disclosure) for a loss because I wanted an original one.
Not disclosed and not wanted by you, yea should've walked away

Once. I usually specify that I prefer to deal with someone with a GWL. Thats not really a hard rule but it does hopefully weed out some undesirables.
The guy told me he had his and I drove halfway to meet with him but when he got there he confessed that he didn't have one.
I took my toys and went home. If he had been honest up front we probably could have worked it out but if he'd lie about something like that then he isn't someone I'm comfortable dealing with.
Exactly, not worth a few dollars to risk some kind of trouble over it

I read this backwards. I almost backed out of a sale 1 time when some retard loaded up a gun and started hand cycling it in the parking lot to function check strewing live bullets everywhere. He had already paid so I told him to have a good one and left. Other than that no.

I almost did another one. I negotiated a deal to buy a car on ebay. After price was determined he tells me of a couple flaws. He sent me pics. I wasn't happy, but I proceeded forward. It was a small bubble on a fender and seems there was something else. I sealed the spot and haven't had any problems with it. Car has been a decent vehicle going on 12yrs now. Had to drive almost to Virginia for that one. Car was a decent deal, I'm the 3rd owner and car is rust free. 40 yr old car

Seems to me you could've just blocked him......
This was before I owned a smartphone. Not sure I knew how to block someone on my Motorola phone…

…but on the other hand, even if I could have or should have, he’s the one who contacted me and decided to insult and dog cuss me for no good reason. Some folks need their BS put in check. I wasn’t the bad guy here.

Back
Top Bottom