• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Have you installed seats and seat belts in a hot rod truck or other?

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
My truck has racing seats and a 5 point harness in it and neither one is comfortable. What seats and belts did you use and were they aftermarket or from a salvage yard vehicle?

passenger side 6-16-19.jpg

Like your truck
I did indeed install seats and belts in all my projects, except the 71 cougar. I upgraded the belts there.

Space in your cab is I assume a bit tight as they built them narrower back then. Consider one of the smaller cars for seats such as a miata or one of the smalller "sporty" cars. I also used seats out of an mazda rx7 and 8.
Easiest is a manual seat, power is cool but usually a lot more work.

You'll likely have to fab mounts.

I once drove a car with do-it-yourself bucket seats.
Yeah, I was helping a friend put in new carpet in the vehicle and we had the seats removed, but we were hungry and wanted to drive to get some lunch. That was our only running vehicle available that afternoon. So we got a couple of 5-gallon pickle buckets, flipped them over, and sat on them during the short drive.

As for seat belts, if you feel compelled to use them, I think you could rig up a set with duct tape.
We are in the Deep South, after all. You can use duct tape for anything that isn't supposed to move.

In my 73 bronco I used seats from a Miata and belts from a Suzuki samurai

Just make sure you use large thick washers on the bottom of the floor board so the bolts can’t pull through the floor

Or get some square tube or angle iron and use for a backing plate

I have a 52 ford F1, cab being similar size.... early eighties mustang/capri or buckets from 1988 thru 1992 S10 Blazer. made my lower mounting frame from square tubing from lowes. flat steel welded to frame and drilled holes for seat mounts. If you weld tabs to an A type pillar frame up the back of the seat might could attach harness to that and or used standard lap belts mounted to floor with grade 8 bolts and washers. Check with the NHRA specs about mounts for the belts as they are sticklers about safety.

As for georgia law, anything prior to 1965 does not require belts.

Back
Top Bottom