• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help buying my son his first 12 gauge

Rem. 870 pump, 3.5" chamber, long vent ribbed barrel, uses screw-in chokes. ($500?)

Extra Rem 870 smoothbore slug barrel, 18.5" for slug-hunting use AND for home defense use. ($150.)

Add a aftermarket set of sights or a red dot optic for the shotgun when your turkey hunting or deer hunting, and

Add a "turkey choke" or "extra full" choke tube...

And a quality gun case....

And that will finish-off your budget.

P.S. I have almost exactly the same set up, however mine is based on the Mossberg 500 action. But I think the Remington 870 is a better built gun, and if I had to do it all over again, I think I'd go with that model.

Remington 870 in 20 gauge. Walmart has a great price on the youth models.

The OP didn't say how old his son was or how big. We could be talking about a 20-year-old man who is 6-foot-two and 200 pounds.

Anyhow, this thread is specifically about picking the son's "first 12 gauge" --not some lesser caliber gun.

In that price range you can get a very nice Remington 1100.

Cruise the pawn shops and LGS and buy a used Remington 1100. Not my favorite, but the F150 of shotguns. You won't feel bad if you have to cut the stock down or such.

Don't worry about condition. take the money you save and buy ammo and targets.

Remington 1100 or 1187
26" with vent rib and remchokes is my all around fav barrel

Functionally there is little difference. Just a lot more 1100 lying around in various shops. Parts everywhere.

Understand, i'm not saying it's the "best" but it's a good starter gun, that may be all he needs, or may be the basis for him moving on.

I have two 870's and no question they are good guns. Also no question the various Express models are not the same as a Wingmaster, I favor Berettas, but i just have to admit that the 11oo is hard to beat for an entry level gun.

Benelli M1, M2, or SB1 one can be had for less $750. So can a Berretta a300. These makers are far superior to anything Mossberg, or Remington ever put out. If you want to go cheap buy him a Benelli Super Nova pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning men.
Please weigh in if you feel led. My son has gotten into hunting via a close friend and his family. It's time to buy him a 12 gauge for Christmas. He's very responsible and has grown up around pistols and rifles (my jam).

I'm looking for a solid performer all around use. So bird shot to slugs. Ideally, I'd spend less than $750 (open to used, off book. I'm on the GA coast).

Thanks for your wisdom.

How old is your son & how big is he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gentlemen.
Thank you. EXCELLENT guidance provided by you all. After more research based on your replies, and deep discussion with our local dealer (30 year awarded competitive trap and skeet, hunter, etc), I ended up going with CZ 1012 Synthetic 12 gauge.
The comment about long view thinking (that he would keep it forever) really struck me. I was thinking low cost, accessorize, load up on ammo, etc. But that change in perspective forced me to rethink my assumptions.
So instead of trying to make the shotgun into a multi hunt tool, I opted to think later about adding a rifle to his starter kit...and give the in-laws something to spend money on.

So again, thank you for all of your guidance.

Ps. My son is 12, 110 lbs, 5'5", 12 shoe, on his way to probably 6'2+. We grow them big.

Back
Top Bottom