• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help/ guidance needed. Career change. (It got worse, more in comments)

It is definitely soul sucking. There's always something to improve which means nothing will ever be good enough. I'm in a high volume store too so it just adds to the stress. If I got fired tomorrow I'd walk out of there with a smile. I may end up picking up a trade and going back to school but starting an apprenticeship at 30 years old just seems like going backwards. I'm fairly certain there's no future growth for me at this company so Ive been looking for a way out for a while now.
As to starting an apprenticeship. You may have to step back for a bit and I know that is hard financially, especially with a family. At 30 you are still young enough to work hard but have enough maturity to not bring all the problems to the table that those in their late teens and early twenties bring. A good employer would see the value in that and there might be a possibility of fast tracking. Sometimes it is better to go backwards to get on a better road.
as counterintuitive as this seems, working a part time job along with a new trade oriented job might be a solution to the cash flow issue, on a temporary basis. A good server at a busy restaurant can make enough working a couple of shifts a week To help the family finances.
If the issue you are having with taking a step back is “what will people think”? you need to put that out of your head. If your wife is on board, nobody else’s opinion matters.
Another oddity I saw in the industry you are in is that pay raises never kept up with the market rate. If you left where you are on good terms, you could almost certainly go back to that company or a similar one 6 months later and do it at a higher rate of pay. They are always hiring, because as we know, the job sucks.

It is definitely soul sucking. There's always something to improve which means nothing will ever be good enough. I'm in a high volume store too so it just adds to the stress. If I got fired tomorrow I'd walk out of there with a smile. I may end up picking up a trade and going back to school but starting an apprenticeship at 30 years old just seems like going backwards. I'm fairly certain there's no future growth for me at this company so Ive been looking for a way out for a while now.
Nobody can ever fault you for trying to improve your situation

If you have about 250$ to play with go to harbour freight and buy a welder(stick or flux core) and a hood. Plenty of youtube videos you can watch and practice like crazy. And if you absolutely hate it just sell it or return it. Will get your foot in the door on a good trade though.

So today I royalty f*cked up. Confronted a homeless man (20ish years old, African American, about 5'10) about a drink he stole (came in with a cup, and helped himself) as he was leaving the store. The man had one hand on the door and the other in his rolling luggage case. Told him I didn't want to see him in there again and if I did I'd call the cops. he went BALISTIC. Walked up to the counter aggressively N word this b*tch a$$ n-word that. And I lost my Composure. Long story short, I left from behind the counter walked through the kitchen door and he walked up to me and put his hands up and I clocked him one good time in the jaw. I'm only sharing this so you guys can tell me what an idiot I am for walking out from behind that counter. 🤦🏻‍♂️ He retreated then tried to come into the kitchen and the staff held him back from coming in. Police were called, he was CT. For some perspective to my character, those words above were the only words I said to him. I didn't egg him on, threaten him, or escalate the situation (verbally) anyway. Including this incident I've been in a total of 1 physical altercation with another human being in my adult life outside of sporting purposes. I'm not the kind of person that picks fights, i use the skills I've learned from this damn job to de-escalate any and all issues. I couldn't tell you why I walked out there, completely unprofessional and out of character. But the threats got past my better judgment. Anyways I thought that was the last I'd see of him. But I should of known better. Maybe 40 minutes later I hear what sounds like an acorn dropping from a tree. I look around and go back to doing my job. I walk back toward the building and I see him just outside of property lines. As I walk inside the back door a fist sized rock hits the back door. At this point my boss is aware of the incident and inside the building. We call the cops again and he ends up on a bus surely to be seen again. I learned 3 valuable life lessons today. 1. Don't fight people with nothing to lose. 2. Never lose your composure. And 3. Let the cops handle it.

And for those wondering if I am still employed after this. Yes. Yes I am. Not only do I get to look over my shoulder for the forseable future but I also got a mocking "thanks for protecting the brand" from the higher ups. I don't expect my life to be in danger but I daily drive something nice that i recently paid off. Which is sure to be trashed if I'm seen in or around it. 🤦🏻‍♂️I'm ready for your comments. I'll keep you guys updated on the ghetto chronicles.

So today I royalty f*cked up. Confronted a homeless man (20ish years old, African American, about 5'10) about a drink he stole (came in with a cup, and helped himself) as he was leaving the store. The man had one hand on the door and the other in his rolling luggage case. Told him I didn't want to see him in there again and if I did I'd call the cops. he went BALISTIC. Walked up to the counter aggressively N word this b*tch a$$ n-word that. And I lost my Composure. Long story short, I left from behind the counter walked through the kitchen door and he walked up to me and put his hands up and I clocked him one good time in the jaw. I'm only sharing this so you guys can tell me what an idiot I am for walking out from behind that counter. 🤦🏻‍♂️ He retreated then tried to come into the kitchen and the staff held him back from coming in. Police were called, he was CT. For some perspective to my character, those words above were the only words I said to him. I didn't egg him on, threaten him, or escalate the situation (verbally) anyway. Including this incident I've been in a total of 1 physical altercation with another human being in my adult life outside of sporting purposes. I'm not the kind of person that picks fights, i use the skills I've learned from this damn job to de-escalate any and all issues. I couldn't tell you why I walked out there, completely unprofessional and out of character. But the threats got past my better judgment. Anyways I thought that was the last I'd see of him. But I should of known better. Maybe 40 minutes later I hear what sounds like an acorn dropping from a tree. I look around and go back to doing my job. I walk back toward the building and I see him just outside of property lines. As I walk inside the back door a fist sized rock hits the back door. At this point my boss is aware of the incident and inside the building. We call the cops again and he ends up on a bus surely to be seen again. I learned 3 valuable life lessons today. 1. Don't fight people with nothing to lose. 2. Never lose your composure. And 3. Let the cops handle it.

You've gotten to a point where better judgment is now beyond your perception of reality. Wherever you work, the potential risk you take with the barnacles of society when you choose to confront them is too high. Nothing your company has is worth that risk. It's not about looking over your shoulder, it's not about your nice car, it's about understanding where to draw the line in a potential confrontation.

If you don't change jobs, I'd definitely recommend you take time off for yourself to reevaluate and decompress.

Also, please post security footage for entertainment 😉

Back
Top Bottom