• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help/ guidance needed. Career change. (It got worse, more in comments)

I’ve worked for a county fire and emergency department for over 13 years. We work 24 hours, then get 48 hours off. Plenty of time for family and/or a part time job or overtime.
My late father-in-law did that after getting out of the Navy and worked his way up to Battalion Chief. He had a large family and was able to spend his free time with his wife and kids. He also built homes on the side.

You've gotten to a point where better judgment is now beyond your perception of reality. Wherever you work, the potential risk you take with the barnacles of society when you choose to confront them is too high. Nothing your company has is worth that risk. It's not about looking over your shoulder, it's not about your nice car, it's about understanding where to draw the line in a potential confrontation.

If you don't change jobs, I'd definitely recommend you take time off for yourself to reevaluate and decompress.

Also, please post security footage for entertainment 😉

Happened off camera which is the only reason I'm still employed. I watched the footage myself to see if there was something to learn but all I saw was the exact moment my patience ran out. I'm going to try to negotiate a different location this week to buy some time financially. The past 6 months alone the company has lost 4 General managers in the surrounding areas. I have a friend who works for a different chain and I'm hopping we can work something out. Same friend also just told me they recently let go of 7 people for stealing at the location nearby in the battery. It's the area I'm in. Near impossible to find decent candidates or strengthen the brand with the high turnover.

Woodstock and Canton are a comfortable commute from your zip, have a ton or restaurants and are a pretty good work environment. It is extremely hard to find help there, which makes it better for getting a job there but harder to do the job once hired.
I have supervised locations in downtown Atlanta including Cambelton Road, and in the absolute worst parts of Macon. The problem with doing a good job in bad areas is that companies will leave you to rot there. The reason you have a job today is likely that nobody up the chain of command wanted to have to step in and run that store or persuade someone else to.

You were certainly lucky on all counts. You could've gone to jail and lost your job. Life is hard. Not saying you did right or wrong. You did learn something on all counts. Just caulk it up to that.

FD and emergency services have been mentioned several times. I spent 36 years in the FD and retired as Div Chief. Retirement is good and I enjoyed the job.
The downside that I’ll share is unless your wife makes good you will probably have to work P/T. FD work part of two weekends out of three. You will work holidays etc. I worked regular P/T for the first 25 years. 24 on 48 off you still average 56 hrs a week before p/t and the starting pay in area is 40 ish. All that said I would do it again but family time is scarce in this job to. Wish you the best and you are young enough to do well somewhere else

Nothing wrong with going back to school to learn a trade. You’re still young. Had a friend who worked many years at Brown and Williamson until they shut down. He found himself out of a job at 55 years old. He went back to trade school and retired at 62 with the skill he learned.

So today I royalty f*cked up. Confronted a homeless man (20ish years old, African American, about 5'10) about a drink he stole (came in with a cup, and helped himself) as he was leaving the store. The man had one hand on the door and the other in his rolling luggage case. Told him I didn't want to see him in there again and if I did I'd call the cops. he went BALISTIC. Walked up to the counter aggressively N word this b*tch a$$ n-word that. And I lost my Composure. Long story short, I left from behind the counter walked through the kitchen door and he walked up to me and put his hands up and I clocked him one good time in the jaw. I'm only sharing this so you guys can tell me what an idiot I am for walking out from behind that counter. 🤦🏻‍♂️ He retreated then tried to come into the kitchen and the staff held him back from coming in. Police were called, he was CT. For some perspective to my character, those words above were the only words I said to him. I didn't egg him on, threaten him, or escalate the situation (verbally) anyway. Including this incident I've been in a total of 1 physical altercation with another human being in my adult life outside of sporting purposes. I'm not the kind of person that picks fights, i use the skills I've learned from this damn job to de-escalate any and all issues. I couldn't tell you why I walked out there, completely unprofessional and out of character. But the threats got past my better judgment. Anyways I thought that was the last I'd see of him. But I should of known better. Maybe 40 minutes later I hear what sounds like an acorn dropping from a tree. I look around and go back to doing my job. I walk back toward the building and I see him just outside of property lines. As I walk inside the back door a fist sized rock hits the back door. At this point my boss is aware of the incident and inside the building. We call the cops again and he ends up on a bus surely to be seen again. I learned 3 valuable life lessons today. 1. Don't fight people with nothing to lose. 2. Never lose your composure. And 3. Let the cops handle it.
That's wild for sure. Glad you got to keep your job. I almost had to learn the hard way too, that unless my life or personal property is threatened, just leave it alone if I'm at work. Let the company or the popo handle it. 9x out of 10 your company isn't going to back your actions and you open yourself up to a lawsuit. Glad this isn't the case here. Stay safe and watch your back though! Sounds like he's gonna remember you.

Go into sales man, great money, most of the time you’re home before the business’ close. You’ll probably be required to travel a week. Month to visit customers but sounds better than what you’re doing.

Happened off camera which is the only reason I'm still employed. I watched the footage myself to see if there was something to learn but all I saw was the exact moment my patience ran out. I'm going to try to negotiate a different location this week to buy some time financially. The past 6 months alone the company has lost 4 General managers in the surrounding areas. I have a friend who works for a different chain and I'm hopping we can work something out. Same friend also just told me they recently let go of 7 people for stealing at the location nearby in the battery. It's the area I'm in. Near impossible to find decent candidates or strengthen the brand with the high turnover.

As the general manager you need to be more aware of where your cameras cover. Anywhere a customer could be at the least should be covered for lawsuit purposes from the slip and fall folks. It’s better to have even employee areas under camera surveillance for theft and fraudulent workers comp claims

Back
Top Bottom