• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help/ guidance needed. Career change. (It got worse, more in comments)

grimreaper

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
42   0
Reaction score
I manage a local qsr business. I started straight out of high school in the food industry and roughly 8 years ago I got team position through a friend as a team member at my current restaurant. I worked my ass off to be where I am today and I make decent money. 2 years ago I took over as the General Manager and little by little I've been sucked into the corporate lifestyle. I've neglected sleep, proper nutrition, relationships and even family in order to do my duties. I took over after covid when the labor force went to crap. I'm miserable. I hate every aspect of this job. The toxic, fat and lazy upper management is no help iether. What is an industry or field I could transfer into that would allow me to see my 2 year old son awake more than twice a week and actually be able to support him? I don't mind starting over but 15$ an hour just isn't livable in today's economy. Who here has escaped the fast food biz? How did you get started and what do you do now?

A friend of mine did this after getting out of the Marine Corps.

North Fork Southern as a train, conductor or other positions. Pay is pretty solid, good benefits, retirement is great.

Biggest downside as a conductor is you will have to travel and be out of town. Until you get a defined route, Your schedule will be kind of iffy.

Any trade job like electrician, plumber, diesel, mechanic would be pretty solid as well.

If I had to do it over, I’d definitely look into a trade such as mentioned above. With a little time, some dedication, you can make a solid living wage and a lot of people aren’t going that route because they’re pushed towards the university’s.

Remember when people who made 15 dollars an hour were rich?

8fb98d6223ff2db10a01a5eacc82f481--farms-gaming.jpg

I spent 15 years in QSR's. It started as a gap filler job when I wasn't on contract jobs. I woke up one day and all of a sudden, it had been 5 years and I was working full time as a manager.. anyway..

Getting out... which part of management do you like best?

Focus on that and find a job that you like, that pays you better.

I found real estate, but that may not be for you.

Also, you could find a better QSR company. I know several GM's that are lifer's but the company they work for, respects them and pays them their worth.

Could you consider management in a local restaurant? A lot of the skills will transfer over and with less corporate demands the schedule is often less crazy.

Back
Top Bottom